screwfix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when the enfield counter screwfix opened, i used to go there with my list out of the catalogue, and there was always a couple of things they didnt have, usually basic stuff, like sink waste fittings. or glue....there was no phone no to check wether it was in stock, and because i live in london, it was 45 mins with traffic there and 45 mins back. total false economy, i go to wickes in tottenham now.

Sponsored Links
thats nice, why not order it on the phone and have it delivered to site

I'm so happy that you shared that with us. Our own SF counter opened here on Friday. A couple of items not in stock and a 10 minute wait for collection despite there being no-one else in front of me. Know what I did...I complained on the SF forum where they are more likely to read this sort of thing.

i never have that problem at our SF counter, i think they must think i am famous or something, on several occasions i have been in and got my stuff before others have

Sponsored Links
Trying to get you out of their shop before you lower the tone?

jumbo55 said:
when the enfield counter screwfix opened, i used to go there with my list out of the catalogue, and there was always a couple of things they didnt have, usually basic stuff, like sink waste fittings. or glue....there was no phone no to check wether it was in stock, and because i live in london, it was 45 mins with traffic there and 45 mins back. total false economy, i go to wickes in tottenham now.

ok your choice you cant expect any shop to have what you want in stock even if they suggest they may

its just good practice to allow" space" in your shedule
i have 90% of what i need to hand the rest i will order i will allow 2 days if they say next if its crutial i make shure i can wait 3 or 4 days or have another choice

relying on one supplier for instant "results " is fine if you can absorb the cost /inconveniance implications if not you need to hedge your bets and have a back up plan :D :D :D ;)

Your missing the point here bigall, the point i'm trying to make is that they want to be your one stop shop, they advertise that everything in the book is stocked, but the biggie is that you dont know they havent got any till you make the journey there. i mean they didnt have any 135 inch and a half bends the last time i was there, i wound up getting them locally. so the money i save going to screwfix is lost if i have to spend time travelling to them and wind up getting it locally.
i have had stuff sent to site, but then found i cant start because they couldnt send materials that again, was not in stock, and you dont find out till you receive delivery, at which point you phone them up and they say they will send them when in stock. prices are ok, but they dont live up to their promise and have let me down more than once with poor if not no communication.

I'm not trade, but I was happy when they opened a 'Trade' counter here in Orpington 2 weeks ago.

I went last Sunday to get some plasterboard fixings.

After waiting in a long queue, I realised that they employ cheap (and not cheerful) minimum wage young people who know NOTHING about the products whatsoever.

The one serving me didn't even know what plasterboard is, and couldn't even find the fixings in their own catalog (kindly provided by a tradesman next in the queue!)
He could only punch a predefined number on a keyboard.

They were out of stock, and he didn't know of any alternatives.

What a joke, I wasted half an hour of my life in this overpriced joke of a 'trade' counter.

A 'special price' 9" extractor fan was £99 at their catalog, and I got it for £60odd from eBay.

Never again.

In my experiance anything that has a sticker on that says professional/trade/pro quality/new/improved etc is normally not! You could probably have gone to a decent local trader or builders merchant and got the same thing quicker and at the same price.

You should all move to Croydon :LOL: There's a Screwfix, B&Queue, 2 Homebase, Wickes, Plumb Centre, Plumbase, Selco, Wickes, Builder Centre all within about 5 mins of each other.

Deluks said:
You should all move to Croydon :LOL: There's a Screwfix, B&Queue, 2 Homebase, Wickes, Plumb Centre, Plumbase, Selco, Wickes, Builder Centre all within about 5 mins of each other.
Come to devon and you will find all the above within 100 miles of each other.

jon666..........i liked your posting :LOL:

at least plumcenter have the decency to provide a free coffee machine to keep you awake whilst matey looks for something thats in stock, only to find the bin empty.

i love it.

my local scewfix has a free use coffeee m/c but i am never there long enough to try it. but i did notice the notice "out of order" :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back