Sealing a bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just realised that my bath seal is leaking and is letting water through my walls. The problem is that the gap between my wall and my bath is quite big, so there isn't a nozzle that will fill it. I have heard that putting soaked newspaper in between the gap works, is this right???

Sponsored Links
You can buy many difference type of profile moulding for the bath sealant from tiles shop or any good diy shed will have them. Some of them do peel back putty type.
diagram1sealant.jpg

I have a similiar problem and wondered whether you'd solved yours. Cos of uneven walls the gap between our bath and wall is as much as 20mm in places. I've tried to seal on top of newspaper but after a few days the sealant cracks and we get water running down the hall wall below. I've read about quadrant tiles and plastic coving but I've not found anywhere that sells these.

how can i get old sealant of my bath, me hubby made a bad job, and he got it everywhere and it has stuck on me bath, i have tried scraping it off and spraying sealant remover on, to no avail :

Sponsored Links
First of all, is your bath a 'plastic' type?
If so, then before sealing the bath should have been over half filled then sealed so that the silicone was put in when the bath had a mid-way point for weight.

Secondly, if you had big gaps, you should have use the above method, plus before the silicone, used foam filler.....which is not the best thing.

Also, if the wife is cleaning the tiles with things like vilkie etc, this rots the silicone , as does most cleaning products.

There is a problem as to the squareness of old and new rooms. I did a bathroom only yesterday where the bath sat neatly into the corner, but as the short side went to the wall, it simpily went away by half an inch.

So, fill with foam filler, cut foam back down , fill with silicone, remembering that it will be a big wide joint, do it slowly, lots of water/washing-up liquid, press it down to get a nice finish. Do again a day later to get the best effect.

You can fill with silicone first time instead of foam, then do again the next day.

NO. THAT WASN'T MY QUESTION, THE PLASTIC BATH HAS BEEN IN MY BATHROOM FOR 9 YEARS, ITS JUST THAT WE HAD TO RESEAL IT, AND THERE IS SOME OF THE OLD SEALANT STILL ON THE BATH I NEED TO GET RID OFF, I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SAYING ABOUT FILLING THE BATH HALF WAY, BEFORE SEALING IT, BUT YOU CAN SAY OUR PLUMBER WASN'T VERY GOOD AT COMMUNICATING BACK THEN, SO IF ANYBODY OUT THER HAS ANY BETTER IDEAS AT GETTING IT OFF, I WOULD BE GRATEFULL.

Firstly don't SHOUT!

Taking off sealant is a labour intensive process. You'll just have to scrape it off. A stantley knife blade works well, but use it carefully. I find the type with snap off blades extended to maximum length out of the handle works well. Just scrape gently. You can also rub a dry finger over the left last fiew bits. Sealant remover is not very good and only really works on removing a film of sealant.

Bodge the Builder said:
I have a similiar problem and wondered whether you'd solved yours. Cos of uneven walls the gap between our bath and wall is as much as 20mm in places. I've tried to seal on top of newspaper but after a few days the sealant cracks and we get water running down the hall wall below. I've read about quadrant tiles and plastic coving but I've not found anywhere that sells these.
pro_seala_strip(l).jpg

been browsing http://www.toppstiles.co.uk/
as i want something like this as well..and some covering strips for joins between disimilar tiles
hope its of some help...topps is near me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back