Sealing a large gap between bath and tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Because our wall is not level the gap between the bath and the tiles varies up to a max of approx 20mm. I'm looking for a way to seal the gap. I've tried putting sealant on top of rolled up paper but it just cracks after a few days. I've heard about Quadrant tiles and plastic coving but I've not been able to find any anywhere. Has anyone used them and knows where to get them from in the Midlands. Or if anyone has got any other ideas I'd be interested.

Sponsored Links
I've used the quadrants and they work very well (although I didn't have a gap as large as your one). I bought them from a tile shop - they seemed to be readily available from tile shops so you shouldn't find them too hard to find.

If you have the time, you could hack back the wall where the bath touches, allowing you to get the rest of the bath against the existing plaster. You could then use any conventional method of sealing the bath. I like the sealing strips that you fit behind the tiles, but a run of the mill, silicone bead would probably do the job.

If you find it too much like hard work getting the bath back all the way, you could just remove the most offensive parts to a get it a bit closer. Then you could use quadrants to finish the job.

Sponsored Links
I recently fitted a plastic coving along my baths edge to cover the gap between the tiles end & bath edge. I applied a liberal layer of sealant under & behind the coving. So far it seems to have done the trick & does not look too bad either.

when your sealing around the bath, fill it up with water then seal, empty the water out only when the silicone has set this will make it flexible when you get in the bath.

Of course, if you have supported the bath on battens then this isn't really an issue :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back