Sealing between kitchen tiles and units - distance problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 3 metre wall that is tiled. I have tiled the wall in such a way that the tiles do not rest on the kitchen worktop, they are actually in place approximately 3cm/just over an inch above the worktop.

All sealing strips I have seen tend to be very narrow and would obviously not fill this gap.

Does anybody have any ideas/products that would overcome this problem (apart from retiling the wall).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would do this but the tiles are very thick and I already had great problems simply cutting say, a quarter of one of these tiles. I would prefer to use a strip of something (wood, metal, plastic etc) for this gap. Its just that I have not seen these finishings in such sizes anywhere.

Plus, the first thing people would say to me is why have you not started at the work surface? which i'm beginiing to ask myself now!

Sponsored Links
If you use wood or whatever, you will only highlight the cock-up. Tiles are the only way to go.

joe

The other dilemma i have is having to buy another box of tiles to be able to do this.

One option I was thinking of is if this 3 cm gap could be filled in with grout/plaster or whatever and then I simply reapply the 1.5 cm thick would seal strip again. This would not look the best but would save me from having to spend £50+ on a wet saw and new box of tiles to basically finish a job.

Is tile grout intended to be used in such a way?

It'll only look a bodge. Any tile cutter should cut ceramics.

joe

Joe's right here, really anything other than tiling this will highlight the very problem your trying to solve.

Buy the tiles and cut them in, it will be worth it.

Sorry, have to add my two penn'orth every reply has been correct, all your alternatives will make it look sh**e, spend some time do it right and you'll never have that feeling of "i wish I'd done it right 1st time!" believe me it is worth the extra effort. Good luck!! :D

could you not use some of those narrow trim tiles as a sort of border,should look ok. get something that matches/complements the kitchen color scheme.

eddie

In the past I have trimmed a worktop with the plastic trim you get from a double glazing window supplier. They have all sizes and shapes and its easily cut and fixed and very cheap. Trimmed a bathroom out with it too.

Stop messing about and do what every is telling you to do. Get/hire a diamond wheel disc cutter and do a proper job. Unless you want it to look garbage in which case follow any of the ideas you've mentioned.

Sorry abit late but you should just cut some tiles and finish it neatly, But if you want a thick seal strip, and i will say this quietly ikea do a thick one which comes in a few colours, its made for worktops aswell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back