Sealing damp patches

pam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small damp patch on my living room wall. It's been caused by all this rain we get these days. Do I need to seal the inside and the outside of the wall or by doing this will I trap the damp inside. I'm not sure what product is best to use for this. Cheers for your help.

Sponsored Links
Wet patches on your wall most likely imply something is wrong, as there should be measures to ensure the walls get only a bit wet - from which they will dry out on their own. Check your guttering is not blocked or broken. Check your roof too. Check your rendering - if you have any - is still intact. Check the lead work round any porch/bay windows etc. Check the damp course is not bridged. If you have cavity walls there may be something bridging the cavity.

When you have found the cause of the damp and fixed that, the damp patch will dry out over a month or so on its own. You can then treat any mould with diluted bleach, and redecorate.

I would recommend reading this article by Jeff Howell http://www.onthelevel.in-uk.com/wall-coatings.htm before applying anything waterproof to your home.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back