sealing laminated splashback

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just fitted new kitchen with laminated mdf splashback (granite effect)
mostly black in colour. What is the recommended method to seal the joints where the boards but up to each other. Also what is the preffered option for finishing the edges and corners.

Sponsored Links
Silicon for sealing, you can get it in black if your joints are not perfect ( it is better to cut these at 45deg. it looks better than a butt joint)

Not sure about the corners you mention, they should not require a finish.

For the ends, use some of the strip that came with the worktop. It is better to do this before fitting to the wall

I missunderstood what you were using sorry, the corners you mentioned were bothering me, finally dawned on me.

Right here goes again, silicon still applies, forget 45 deg. The idea with these boards is to use a factory edge whenever a edge shows. any cutting should be done on boards that are in the middle or going into an internal corner, if you have an external corner, use a factory edge.

The worktop edging will be a bit thick to use. Try whoever supplied boards for correct edging.

Thanks Fitter,
Unfortunately the boards are unfinished on all the edges..... :cry:

This means I have 8mm of exposed MDF showing.
I am not good enough to cut the worktop edging that narrow and nothing is sold by the supplier.

I stuck the boards on using Gripfill from Screwfix - it aint coming off in a hurry :)

Sponsored Links
I have not used them without edging on two sides, so have not had this problem.

All I can think of is a piece of plain beading painted before you glue it in position.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, it will be interesting to see if anyone comes up with a better solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back