Security light ideas wanted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a standard 3 bed detached house, front door, side door into back of garage/house and rear garden door. Also conservatory on back. Access down far side of house is restricted due to large shed.
Rear garden is approx 12m wide and 14m long with minimum 6' high fences all round.
Front garden is approx 10m long inc large drive. I will likely fit decent front security camera at later date. (Maybe back as well)

Previously I had a low wattage light by the front door and down the side of the house operated by a dusk/dawn sensor. Also a PIR detector covering the front and side that brought on 150w flood lights. Manual flood light at rear for garden.

As we are building an extension above the garage it seems the sensible time to redo all of this. (BCO Notified of owner doing Part P work, although all connections will be in building or fittings so should be irrelevent)

I am looking for ideas for low level dawn to dusk lighting with additional lighting if movement is detected. (I have seen some of the IQ range of Hi-Low spots as sold in B&Q and Screwfix http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j...2CSTHZOCFFY?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=99280)

Also suggestions on what you have done and found works well, I don't want to be paying a fortune on electricity!

Sponsored Links
luminaire said:
They should be fine. Have recently one myself.

How bright are they when dimmed? - suitable for front drive without being too intrusive to neighbours? (What wattage did you go for?)

I had a quick look at them in B&Q and the PIR doesn't go down far enough for use down the side of the house, there is only a 1.2m gap so I need to face the PIR right down.

On the front I was asked to use 300W but I am sure 150W would be adequate.

I also did a similar job where I put lights on the back wall and down the side. For this job I used ones that had an integraded PIR that could swivel but you couldn't turn them up or down. They were fitted at 1.8M high and used 60W es bulbs. I got them from B & Q about £22ea. They worked fine, as you walk along so they came on in turn. I also joined them together using black conduit.

Sponsored Links
I am tempted to use low wattage or economy bulbs in some std fittings down the side and by the front door on a dusk/dawn sensor.
Then put independant 150w std PIR flood on front, 150w std PIR flood on side pointing down, then 300w hi-low flood on back.

All with seperate fused spur's so they can be overidden if required.

Just seems a lot of light fittings!

Paul_Thomas said:
I am tempted to use low wattage or economy bulbs in some std fittings down the side and by the front door on a dusk/dawn sensor.
Then put independant 150w std PIR flood on front, 150w std PIR flood on side pointing down, then 300w hi-low flood on back.

All with seperate fused spur's so they can be overidden if required.

Just seems a lot of light fittings!

Yes it does, that's why I did all mine from one 3A FCU sited at the back door. They then all switch independently, but can be overridden if necessary. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back