self install air con units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought one of those Airforce air con units from B&Q, the 9000btu split unit type with a quick connect coupling. I have not yet installed it, but i have a few questions regarding the electrical side of things.

1. The outdoor unit claims to be IP24 protected. Is this good enough just to be stuck on the ground or on a wall outside???? I wouldn't have thought so myself, but then i dont know the standard for air con units.

2. The electrical connections on the outdoor unit - a plastic connector with 2 wires, and 3 little screw terminals (incl. earth) are on the unit. If this comes under part p, being outdoors, why doesn't it state so in the instructions?

I am going to install it myself anyway, i was just curious about these 2 points. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
IP24 should be Ok - unless you intend to submerse your aircon unit in water! From memory it's protected against spray from all directions.

As far as Part P goes - I can see where you're coming from, but do they sell bricks, lintels, doors etc with a warning that work should conform to building regulations etc. As long as what they sell is safe, it is up to the buyer what they do with it and to ensure they are used and installed according to current legislation. It's also a liability thing I expect - if they tell you something is or isn't necessary and that advice is wrong, they would be liable. So it's safer not to tell you! ;)

If your aircon unit connects to the electricity by plugging into a 13A socket then its not notifiable under part P anyway (nothing that just plugs in is). If you have to install a dedicated circuit for it, then the new circuit would be notifiable anyway, so the fact that there are some connections between the outside and inside part of the air con unit has little influence over whether the job should be notified.

Adam

Adam_151 said:
If you have to install a dedicated circuit for it, then the new circuit would be notifiable anyway

funnily enough, im not installing a dedicated circuit, but i am spurring off the kitchen ring main for an FCU for it!

BTW, is putting an appliance (or circuit) on an FCU the same as plugging it in, with regards to the rules of part p and outdoor electrics?

Sponsored Links
not really. Adding an FCU in the kitchen would qualify as notifiable work.
If you think anyone will know, or care, so long as it is done properly. I cannot advise you to break the law, but I could say that the risks from doing so in this case are small.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back