Self levelling compound as a finished floor surface

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
I have just laid a nice 50mm sand/cement screed which contains electric under floor heating in it. The surface is a bit rough and slightly off level (my string lines when laying the screed were ok, but not perfect), probably max 7mm out in places.

Anyone know of a self levelling compound that i can use as a finished surface? We would like to have a smooth(ish) finish that we would paint (or add dye into the compound itself). Are the levelling compounds string enough? or should we polish the screed?

The idea was from india where they have simple smooth painted concrete floors that look great, and the odd crack here or there just adds to their charm!

cheers

Will

Sponsored Links
You can purchase a self leveling latex screed, just google latex floor. You may need to filter "latex" :LOL:

In my experience, the surface of the latex-based self-levelling screeds, whilst undoubtedly smooth, are not man enough to be the finished floor surface.

I have no idea whether this is by design, or just the effect of the constituents in the latex/cement mix, but I generally only use this stuff under tiled flooring.

Once I did use it under a carpeted floor, to fill in some craters and to smooth over the slight mismatching levels of two rooms that became one (after knocking a wall out). It worked a treat for that, but we also made sure of using heavy-duty underlay.

Sponsored Links
I used one on my garage floor from Wasco floors. It wasn't cheap but was very smooth and dried rock hard. It was meant for industrial floors and the like.

I agree, some cheap latex is fine under carpet or tiles but as a finished floor..na

Wonder how the latex search went on google :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back