Separate oven and hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

The other night while cooking tea something went wrong with our hob which in turn caused the mcb in the consumer unit that it is wired to to trip. I don't know what it was, we were all sitting in the living room at the time so no one touched it or switched anything on or off.

Subsequently we have decided to buy a new cooker and hob and I need some advice as to the best way to wire it in. We currently have a separate oven and hob with the oven being rated at 2175W and the hob being rated at 5500W. I have been reading some of the comments posted on this forum and have become concerned that our current cooker is not wired in as it should be.

We currently have a 20A mcb in the consumer unit which is supplying the cooker (oven and hob). My first concern is that this mcb isn't man enough for the job. Comments in the forum seem to suggest that this should be either 30A or 45A. Is this correct?

My second concern regards the wiring itself. I've taken the hob and oven out of the kitchen unit so that I can have a look at the wiring and have discovered that the hob is wired directly to the switch unit on the wall (which also has a normal 3 pin outlet by the way) via a thick piece of cable which I am assuming is 6mm. The oven is then wired to the hob via a piece of 2.5mm cable. Surely this is wrong isn't it? Shouldn't there be a 13A fuse somewhere between the hob and oven if the oven is only rated at 2175W? If we only switch the oven on then the only thing protecting it is a 20A mcb.

I would be grateful of any advice that anyone out there can offer.

Sponsored Links
If everything is on at the same time, about 33A amps would be drawn, 20A would probably be ok by the deveristy rules (though haven't calculated it), I would have thought it ideally should have a 32A breaker, and as you appear to have most of the circuit in 6mm this shouldn't be a problem

The 2.5mm cable wouldn't be too much of an issue on a 20A breaker, but if you upgraded to a 32A breaker you would have to fuse down to it, or keep it totally separate and install a separate 16A/20A circuit for it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back