servicing - how long

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my car is due to be serviced. how long does it usually take?

its an astra estate if that makes any difference

Sponsored Links
The service itself will take about 2 hours, but most garages like to keep the car in all day so they can allocate it into the workshop when they like. Some dealers offer a while you wait service or being the first customer in in the morning usually means your car would go in first but if you need it by a specific time it's best to tell them so they know.
If your car needs a major service with cambelt then they may want to keep it for 2 days (depending on difficulty)to cover for any unexpected lack of parts !!!
Also they could well find things wrong with your car that need to be rectified which would then extended the amount of time they need to keep your car in.

StuH said:
The service itself will take about 2 hours, but most garages like to keep the car in all day so they can allocate it into the workshop when they like. Some dealers offer a while you wait service or being the first customer in in the morning usually means your car would go in first but if you need it by a specific time it's best to tell them so they know.
If your car needs a major service with cambelt then they may want to keep it for 2 days (depending on difficulty)to cover for any unexpected lack of parts !!!
Also they could well find things wrong with your car that need to be rectified which would then extended the amount of time they need to keep your car in.

thanx. im hoping theyll do it while i wait, since itll take me over an hour to get home then another hour back if i have to leave it. since i wont be able to get someone to pick me up. it does need a few minor things done to it aswell. handbrake needs tightening and headlight needs replaced

You will have needed to of told em you wanna wait for it before you get there so they know.
handbrake adjustment is minor so that can be done in the service time - no probs.
You said you need a headlight replacing - d'you mean the bulb or complete headlight. Bulb is quick, complete headlight might take a while.

Sponsored Links
StuH said:
You will have needed to of told em you wanna wait for it before you get there so they know.
handbrake adjustment is minor so that can be done in the service time - no probs.
You said you need a headlight replacing - d'you mean the bulb or complete headlight. Bulb is quick, complete headlight might take a while.

just the bulb i think. the front plastic on the case has condensation and ive been told its because the lamp needs replaced

Andrew, I am certain Vauxhall do not tie you to a franchised dealer as such. You could go to a different franchise or even a smaller independant, if it is more convenient(and they may be cheaper). For warranty purposes they only used to specify that genuine parts were used for any servicing or repairs. Obviously the garage would have to be competant too.

What model did you end up getting?

I have to say, in my experience the Vauxhall main dealer is actually CHEAPER than the independents round here :eek: ... I believe legislation was made so main dealer servicing isn't required to maintain a manufacturer's warranty.

Adjusting the handbrake... you probably need the drums adjusting so it isn't THAT quick a job, involves taking the wheels off and fiddling inside the drum. Just tightening up the cable is a bodge, according to a mechanic I spoke to.

IIRC, on its own it is about £40 at my Vauxhall main dealer, and they don't touch the drums as part of a standard service so it might get added on top.

Changing the lamps is dead easy. It shows you how to do it in the manual.

AdamW said:
Adjusting the handbrake... you probably need the drums adjusting so it isn't THAT quick a job, involves taking the wheels off and fiddling inside the drum. Just tightening up the cable is a bodge, according to a mechanic I spoke to.

All car's now a days would have self adjust brakes, so there should be no need to remove the rear drums unless the brakes need deglazing or replacing. Depending on what car it is, it may even have discs and pads on the rear which are non adjustable.
I would still advise just to adjust the handbrake cable for now, then when the rear brakes require replacing it can all be reset.

If the headlight has condensation in it then the complete assy would need to be replaced as the seal would be faulty. Alternatively try drying it out with a hair dryer !!

thanx for the advice people. gonna phone the dealer next week and arrange something... for the headlight, my first thoughts were its leaking. and i do know how to change the bulb, but if its goin for a service, they can do that. i could also get the brake done easily, but again might aswell get that done at the same time as the service. not sure if any places near me who could do it so i might have t go with network Q.

D&J - its an envoy estate

andrew2022 said:
i do know how to change the bulb,

no lamp in winter, points on licence.

check haines manual

but think your self lucky its not a renault (think thats it) front wheel has to come of, also serveral bits inside engine compartment too, and yes i am being serious, mate has got one

breezer said:
andrew2022 said:
i do know how to change the bulb,

no lamp in winter, points on licence.

check haines manual

but think your self lucky its not a renault (think thats it) front wheel has to come of, also serveral bits inside engine compartment too, and yes i am being serious, mate has got one

ive heard about some other cars with the wheel havin to come off. wasnt it you who made the thread about it?

as for lights out, why winter? dont you mean darkness? and in that case, the light has just blown and im going to replace it tomorrow when i can go to a car shop...

StuH said:
All car's now a days would have self adjust brakes,

Ah, but the auto-adjusters don't work 100% effectively.

Sponsored Links
Back