Servis Caress 900 'A' Washing Machine - Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My washing machine has started making a banging noise when it hits its spin cycle.

After reading other posts I've checked the drum and I can lift it up about an inch if that. Also there is no foreign bodies sticking through any of the holes as far as I can tell (no bra wires here)

I've checked the filter and discovered that the water is cloudy/brownish in colour. The last time I cleaned the filter (about a month ago) I put the colour of the water down to the fact I dye my hair and have to wash the towels regularly to get rid of the dye. It also solved the problem that I was having at the time which was the pump making funny noises as there was a tack stuck in the filter.

There is, however, what looks like a rust stain running down the back of the center of the drum and a stain on the floor.

The machine is not covered by warranty/insurance (it originally belonged to our old landlady who sold our old house and said we could have the washing machine as she wasn't going to be renting out houses anymore so she didn't need it so we brought it with us) and the slip of paper stuck to the inside of the housing says "August 2000).

I usually use the machine daily, if not every other day due to have a 4-year-old so :
1) Whats likely to be wrong?
2) Do I try to fix it myself or call out an engineer?
3) Do I give in and buy a new one?

Sponsored Links
Bearings have gone-cheap machine prob. best to scrap.Sorry.

Often this is caused by wear of the drum bearings. If the drum bearings are worn there will often be a brown rusty stain under the machine towards the back and/or the drum will seem loose on its spindle. Getting the machine repaired before the bearings collapse is a good idea, since persistent use in this condition often results in other parts getting damaged! If there is no rusty stain and the drum does not seem to be excessively loose on its spindle, the noise may be coming from the motor or the pump or from a foreign object inside the machine somewhere. Clonking can be caused by loose components or loose concrete weights inside the machine, or even simply because the machine is not standing squarely on all four feet or wheels.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back