Servis Gem 1000 automatic washing machine disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone can advise!

I inherited this washing machine when I moved into my house (approx 2 years ago) so I've no idea how old it is. Yesterday, it started leaking steadily throughout the washing cycle - I checked the hose and all the connections (which seem fine) but it continues to leak. Also, the cycle programme has started sticking and needs giving a manual nudge to help it along - and the water is stone cold no matter what temperature setting I try & run it on. It was perfectly fine two days ago - all these problems have come at once.

I fear it's probably curtains for the appliance, but if anyone could advise me of any other checks I could do (or if it's worth getting someone out to look at it), that would be great.

Sponsored Links
Take the back off and look at the thermostats. These are near the bottom of the outer drum and fit in rubber grommets. Sometimes the belt can catch on the thermostat wires and pull it out of the drum.

There could be several faults, and much depends on the make/model of your machine, but there is one fault that could explain all of the symptoms...

If the heater element had corroded, and was leaking water, then (a) the water would stay cold, (b) water would leak out, (c) the programmer would be interlocked on the thermostat detecting water at (or above) the correct temperature, therefore wouldn't move without being 'nudged'.

Unless you're comfortable with opening up the machine, WHICH REQUIRES REMOVING THE ELECTRICAL PLUG FROM THE WALL SOCKET FIRST, then you'd be best advised to call a service engineer.

If you want to attempt a repair, then having the back cover of the machine should reveal the heater terminals, and they are usually simple to remove and replace.

I would find a friendly supplier of appliance spare parts, and call them to find out price and availability of the element for your machine. You could then ask them if they would be willing to advise you on the ease of replacing the element yourself. Don't try to get a full description of how to do it, because their knowledge is their livelihood, but a couple of tips wouldn't hurt them.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for the advice and tips, today is the first chance I've had to check for replies.

I'm going to follow your pointers and investigate the washing machine today - Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back