sharpen tabletop saw blade?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I lent my table top saw to my mate ,he used it to cut MDF and it's come back blunt ,well i tried to cut some wood at the weekend and it burnt it's way through rather then cut.

So can you sharpen these blades ,if so how & what with

thanks nyck

Sponsored Links
I used to sharpen handsaw years ago :eek: not easy, a lot of practise, you could try using a fine file very carefully, if you file the teeth too much, that teeth will not be doing any cutting so the other teeth will be working harder, they all have to be perfect as in same size blade tip. These days it's best to buy a new blade.

I lent my table top saw to my mate

No, never ever lend valuable items such as powertools to anyone, even people you think you can trust. You can bet your life that these things always come back worn and battered. Don't get me wrong, I know it's only the blade that has come back in an unexpected state, but something worse could happen in the future. It's just not worth it. Also, had the powertool been damaged (it happens in many cases) your guarantee could possibly become void. Friend or no friend, I would never lend my stuff. My next door neighbour wanted to borrow our petrol mower and I just knew it would come back with plastered with mud and grass. It's extra wear and tear too that degrades performance for next use.

Just thought I'd give some friendly advice :).

Hi,

I have a chopsaw and a portable table saw. They both have tct blades. I machine a lot of MDF and it is a well known material for blunting blades. Have you looked closely at the blade? Sometimes you get a build up of resin on the blade. You can scrape off the resin by using a stanley blade. TAKE THE BLADE OUT OF THE MACHINE BEFORE DOING THIS!!!

You can get tct blades re-tipped although you are better off just replacing the blade to be honest.

Sponsored Links
Nyck

Look up saw sharpening in Yellow Pages or ask your local ironmonger's shop. TCT blades can be sharpened a number of times before they are scrap - we get 6 to 10 sharpenings out of our industrial saw blades depending on how bad they are. You only need to retip if you break or chip a tooth.

We use an industrial aqueous solution for cleaning blades, but I've also used turpentine in the past (especially good if you've been sawing resinous timbers like pitch pine) as well as oven cleaner (although you shouldn't leave it on for too long). An old toothbrush and a cocktail stick will get stuff out of the crevices. As BB says - remove the blade from the machine first, though.

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back