Shaver Socket in an Ensuite



I've just built a partion wall to create an ensuite. A late addition - i have just purchased a shaver socket for use in the en-suite, which (helpfully) comes with absolutely no instructions.

I've read the installing a shaver socket page.

The shaver socket has a transformer in it so is suitable for use in a bathroom.

I understand i can spur this from the lighting or the ring main, and that if it is spurred from the ring main it needs an FCU.

I plan to spur it from the lighting circuit, but if i do this will i still need an FCU ?

In practical terms I can't actually put an FCU in the bathroom obviously, and the partition wall between the bedroom and ensuite is compelte and the wife has already decorated the bedroom side so installing the FCU in the bedroom is out.

So can i install this by spurring directly from the lighting circuit with no FCU or must it still have an FCU ?


Sponsored Links
Gazza, you can take a permanent LIVE/Neutral feed from the lighting circuit to the shaver socket with no problems. There is no requirement or need to add a fused spur to this when coming from a lighting circuit.
Blimey that was pretty damn quick !

Cheers for the info. Much appreciatted.


DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links