shaver socket off light circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is it safe to install a bathroom shaver socket (with the integral transformer) on the same circuit as the bathroom lights as long as its in the correct zone?

do i need to install a fcu before the socket?

Sponsored Links
is there any reason why not to install it from the main socket ring rather than the lighting circuit?

As you are not allowed sockets in bathrooms, the socket circuit cable does not usually go to bathrooms....

Sponsored Links
Thats a fair point,

Just asking as I was looking at fitting a shaver socket and its just as easy to take either circuit to it, single storey bathroom with both sets of cable pasing over it, shaver socket would be zone 3.

So if you had a choice would it still be best to go for lighting socket as thats what is usaully used?

Well, yes, on the basis that that is what's usually used, and therefore that is what will be most expected by people in the future.

OTOH, if it's a shaver socket & light combo, I'd use the socket circuit, as that would maintain a source of light in the bathroom if the lighting circuit went off. In this case use an FCU with 3A fuse.

In which case ill use the socket idea as I have a redundant fcu (off the socket circuit) in there from an old dimplex heater that was removed.
will put a note inside the fcu saying it is on the socket circuit for future refence.

Thanks for the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back