Shed guttering for water butt.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to save water for environmental reasons to use in my garden.
I have a decent sized rectangluar shed that I want to add guttering that channels the rainwater into a water butt.

The shed has a gable roof and so guttering would be needed down the 2 long sides leading to the butt in one corner.
The roof seems fairly strong and overlaps the side by a few inches.

Will the shed/roof hold the weight of some lightweight guttering plus the weight of the water?
Should the guttering be attached to the shedside or the roof overhang?
Can anyone offer any advice on planning it out?

The main issue is money. Its only worth doing the job if after 2/3 years the money saved on water rates pays for the parts.
Does anyone know where you can pick up some cheap guttering and water butts?
Guttering seems to cost about £5 for a 2m length.

It seems to me that they charge rip-off prices for water butts considering they are just a plastic container.
Can you get a general plastic container cheaper and fit a tap yourself?

Sponsored Links
Worth a try, give your local council or the water company a ring.

In my area they gave it away free to encourage us to save water, I have no idea if these offers are still on.

Why are environmentally friendy products always sold in terms of payback time. If you want to save the planet then surely you just do it.
When you go out to buy a new telly you don't think how long till it pays for itself, you just accept that it costs you money and one day you will throw it away.You do this because you want to watch telly.
If you buy some guttering and a water butt to save the planet, just accept that you are doing your bit and eventually you may have to throw the thing away, in the mean time be happy you are doing your bit.

Sponsored Links
chappers said:
Why are environmentally friendy products always sold in terms of payback time.
You're right in what your saying, but the problem is this will mean only middle class people will be doing it, and doing it because its fashionable.
For example, I'm the only person I've seen using reusable carrier bags in Morrisons as people don't want to pay the 10p.
I might feel good about myself for doing it, but my effort is pointless if most other people won't bother.
I believe the only way to get environmentally products going is to make them required by law (for example changing the law to require solar panels on all new houses) or make them cheaper than the alternative through tax or subsidy.

I looked in some of the DIY stores at the weekend and the water butts are a lot cheaper than the so-called "subsidised" council ones!!!
It seems to me that the council are getting a cut from the supplier in question. (I wouldn't be allowed to use the words I'd like to, to describe my local council on this forum)

I'm therefore going to look into the total cost again...

Indeed true most newbuild stuff isn't that more expensive its the retro fitting that usually adds the expense in for example a photo voltaic roofing slate can cost as low as about £2 if you buy enough the fitting is no more complicated than a normal roofing slate, we should be seeing roofs covered in them on new builds but we are not why.Anyway with regards to your problem keep an eye out on your way past any building works you see you can usually pick up a few bits of guttering etc.
where are you I am always chucking out bits of old guttering.
Also have a look at www.frecycle.org
its amazing what peolple are giving away for free, also a good place to get shot of any old tatt you may have lying around.

I'm in Peterborough.
They're building some house up the road so I might have a wonder up there and see whats about.

You can get a water butt for <£20 and I have some patio slabs to stand it on rather than buying a base, so maybe I'll just buy the guttering from Wickes or B&Q as it won't make the project too expensive.

B&Q do a smaller guttering Marley's Miniline especially for sheds etc so I'm going to go for that.
Its not too expensive either.

remember to raise the butt above the gound enough to get a watering can under the tap ;)

JohnD said:
remember to raise the butt above the gound enough to get a watering can under the tap ;)

I'm going to get one of the standard £7.99 bases rather than trying to stand it on a stack of patio slabs.

The only problem I've got left now is that theres about a 10cm overhang on the shed roof.
I take it I need to saw that off and re-fix the felt as the gutter will be fixed to the side of the shed with the facia brackets.
Otherwise the water won't flow into the gutter!

Theres no way to fix the gutter to the bottom of the overhanging roof is there? This probably would be a bad idea anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back