Shed Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok now that my workshed is built (10x14ft)

shed.jpg

Now comes the part of making sure it's well insulated come winter time.

I run a tshirt & signage business so need to keep dampness to a minimum

The depth of the timber frame inside is 65mm so what's the best method for me to start, even in stages as Summer is just apon us.

Sponsored Links
OK I'm going to go with kingspan panels since they seem the best, I'll be looking at getting 50mm thick panels but where is the best place to get them and what one should I get(there is different panels on there official website)

Any help and advice would be great...... might even get some tee's thrown in for your help ;)

Builders merchants would be your first port of call. See if there's a buildbase near you, they sell xtratherm, basically a cheaper version of kingspan, and probably 90% as effective. You could also use eps (polystyrene sheets) much cheaper again but not as effective as the yellow stuff.

Timber cladding is supposed to have a min 25mm gap behind it for airflow, to help it dry out if any moisture penetrates. With this in mind I'd think to add some 1" thick batten to increase the depth of the upright studs, then fix the insulation flush with this and add plasterboard/ply/hardboard etc to line the room. Don't forget the ceiling, same method, and you might also want to insulate the floor also, just lay insulation boards down with t&g osb/chipboard floating on top.

Ventilation is also a requirement, so fix a couple of air vents on opposing walls to keep everything from going musty.

Milk and 2 sugars with my tee please :LOL:

Hi, i have done a similar project to convert a single walled shed into a double walled insulated shed. Find pics below...

post-2109-1177406880_thumb.jpg

post-2109-1177406864_thumb.jpg

post-2109-1177523103_thumb.jpg

post-2109-1181558614_thumb.jpg

post-2109-1181558623_thumb.jpg

post-2109-1181558637_thumb.jpg

post-2109-1181558651_thumb.jpg

post-2109-1181558665_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
agree with the ventilation, i also have a tubular heater to keep some electronics warm

dark_stranger, what's the floor construction? OSB on bats on paving slabs? What supports the OSB?

John, you cant really see but there is 2x2 running length/width ways on the floor at stagger intervals to increase overall support. Then the instulation is placed in between.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back