Sheet insulation for angled roof rafters for use of loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone tell me what is the best sheet insulation to use between the (angled) rafters for use of loft space? They are 100mm deep so I guess I need about 70mm deep sheet insulation. I have had suggestions of Kingspan, but my local builder's merchants only seem to stock brands:Icopal or Eco-therm. How to these products compare with Kingspan? Is there a product available, which has aluminium backing on one side (to go up against the roof lining with an air-gap) and plaster board on the inside?

Look forward to your suggestions of sheet insulation makers and suppliers.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Brisand said:
Can someone tell me what is the best sheet insulation to use between the (angled) rafters for use of loft space?
From what I understand if you have ceiling joists loft insulation, this would have to be removed if you're going to put up roof rafter insulation because of condensation problem so you can't have both. We did have a surveyor on here name GwaiLo who sadly left us about a year ago. If do you a search on Gwailo post's, there's plenty of information regarding roof insulation.

kingspan, celotex, ecotherm etc they're pretty much all the same.
to comply with building regs you will need to leave a 50mm air gap above the insulation and then vent your roof also building regs will require you to either fill between the rafters with 100mm of insulation and so you will need to batten out your rafters by 50mm or you can insulate between your rafters with 50mm and then use 35mm over the rafters and then your plasterboard either way you take up the same space in your room.

Sponsored Links
chappers said:
kingspan, celotex, ecotherm etc they're pretty much all the same.
to comply with building regs you will need to leave a 50mm air gap above the insulation and then vent your roof also building regs will require you to either fill between the rafters with 100mm of insulation and so you will need to batten out your rafters by 50mm or you can insulate between your rafters with 50mm and then use 35mm over the rafters and then your plasterboard either way you take up the same space in your room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back