Shiplap Cladding help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!! I hope that i'll be able to get some advice and help here on a project that i want to start. I want to build a dog kennel and run that is made os shiplap cladding. To give you an idea of what i want to achieve look here: http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/7956/kennel6a2hn.jpg

The kennel size is 4ftx4ft x 5ft high.

I have NEVER built anything in my life and so this will be a mamoth task for me!!

I've been to all my timber merchants and they only seem to do UNTREATED shiplap. NON of them are willing to send it for treatment :(

I have looked elsewhere in the country and the cheapest place i could find it was 1.80/meter excluding transport!! Locally i can get for 65p a meter..... :LOL:

Ok so first all how can i now treat this my self as getting it treated elsewhere seems impossible or not cost effective....

Down to the design part of it not much help from people selling these kennels as they'd rather sell me one of theirs than advise me how to build one! So far the timber used on this construction is:

19x125mm shiplap (i can only get 16x125mm so it will have to do)
50mmx50mm posts
and then obviously the galvanised weld mesh.

I think the most difficult part for me looks like its going to be the shed part of it. I have thought that the easiest way for me to start this build will be to do it in frames and then bring it all together using screws.

Any advise will be most welcome and appreciated!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
dagsky said:
I've been to all my timber merchants and they only seem to do UNTREATED shiplap. NON of them are willing to send it for treatment :(
Might be an idea to leave the internal timber untreated to protect the animals and just treat the external timber maybe?

Thanks for the tip at screwfix big all!! Ok i know this going to sound daft but what is sawmills?? Is it a place or what?? Remember i'm based in the leicester area....

Ya i was planing on using untreated timber on the inside probably sawn 2x2 but i'm just wondering if it safe for the dog or considering it may get splinters in its foot or mouth.......

Other thing is i don't know if i'm allowed to ask for such info or not but if i get no answers then i assume i'm not allowed, but any idea where i can get treated shiplap at a decent price? OR at least where i can send it for treatment??

Sponsored Links
dagsky said:
Ya i was planing on using untreated timber on the inside probably sawn 2x2 but i'm just wondering if it safe for the dog or considering it may get splinters in its foot or mouth
Use PAR (Planed All Round) timber which is smooth and sand the edge with glasspaper.

I've just spoken to the guy where i want to get the timber from and he reckons that if use some wood preservative like CUPRINOL GARDEN WOOD PRESERVER it should do the same job as getting it pressure treated.... hmmm i'm still not sure though.....

heeelllooo dagsky

look up "sawmills"in your yellow pages its basicly the stage before the timber yard where they convert trees into planks[a bit simplistic i know :LOL: ]
its just another avenue to ask for your treated timber

i would also go for 3by2" pressure treated for all the ground timbers
at the living [hutch]end i would put wooden flooring over the the "joists"3"off the ground 18mm exterior ply would do your cladding can cover the edge off the floor and half the ground timbers

pressure treated is by far the best you remove the air [a vacuum]you the fill the tank with preservative the preservative is sooked into the core off the wood

Thanks for the advice guys!! Now i'm really coming up stuck now!! I had bought plans from here http://www.gardenbuildings.freeserve.co.uk but 2 weeks later and nothing and no emails replied!!

I bought some of the net but these are american plans and the guys here have no clue as to half the stuff they're on about!!

Any ideas guys?? :(

Bigall please forgive me but i don't even know what a joist is!! I thought stuff it i'll go out and just buy one of these kennels but my son is pretty disappointed that his pop can't build him one :cry:

JOIST are just the bits of wood supporting the floor
i didnt know if your plans had a floor in the living area hense the suggestion for a raised floor on "joists"

leave a list of words you dont understand and someone will try and translate :LOL: :LOL: :D :eek:

if your saying the people at the wood yard dont know what the materials are!!!!!
with the plans they should be able to work it out or suggest a sutable material

Thanks mate! I've been google searching some of the terms and if there are any i'll post them here. In the mean time i'm pulling out my hair with a few things!

1) what is the difference between a circular saw and a mitre saw?
Reading about them, they both seem to do the same job to me.....

The most important issue at hand right now is how i am calculating the amount of materials needed! I've calculated 5 times and each time i've come up with a different answer!! Ranging from 70 meters of shiplap to 167m!!!!

Ok i would want to build this project in 2 stages. The 1st being the kennel part and the second being the run.

Ok here's the picture again so you get the idea clearer:

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/7956/kennel6a2hn.jpg

Now the dimensions i will work in are going to be 1.2m wide x 1.2m deep and 1.6m high ( roughly 4ftx4ftx5ft) These are all external dimensions by the way.

Ok so 1st i want to work out how much shiplap i need.

I'll start with the front panel the one with the door fitted to it.

I'll make the door 60cm wide and then i've got 60cm that i need to panel up.

Ok so for the door i'll need it to be 1.6m high and 60cm wide. My shiplap is 125mm which will give me 111m when joined to the next piece. So i,ve said 600mm/111mm = 5.40 which means i roughly need 5.5 boards at 1.6m long each.

My shiplap comes in lenghts of 3.6m only so this means i'll get 2 boards of 1.6m from each length.
So i'll need a total of 3 lenghts that will give me my 5.5 boards with a bit to spare.

Next part is the bit thats next to the door.
The boards need to be 60cm long each. They need to cover a height of 1.6m.
So 1600mm/111mm=14.4 boards needed.
From each lenght of shiplap i should get 6 boards (3.6m/60cm)
So i'll get 3 lenghts that should give me 18 boards. The 3 spare boards are spare for mistakes..........

Next part is the back of the kennel.

Width is 1.2m wide and needs to cover a height of 1.6m
1600mm/111mm=14.4 boards
from each lenght i sholu get 3 boards (3.6/1.2=3)
So 5 lenghts needed that'll give me 15 boards.

I've used the same calculation for the other side panel opposite to the part with the door. So another 5 lengths needed.

Now the part with the dog door.
I've decided to make the dog entrance 60cm wide by 60cm high.
So i need to cover a space of 60cm x 60cm.
So 600mm/111mm=5.40 boards
1 lenght needed 3.6m/0.6m=6 boards of 60cm each

The rest of the dog entrance section is 60cm high by 1.2 wide.
600mm/111mm=5.40 boards at 1.2m per board
1 lenght= 3 boards (3.6m/1.2m)
So 2 lengths needed giving 6 boards.

Ok on the roof i'll use 18mm OSB board and on the floor i'll use 18mm OSB aswell.

I HAVEN'T the slightest clue as to how many supporting posts i'll need for the kennel section but here's a go:

I assume you can say that to the kennel there are 4 sections to put together. So for each section i assume it will need 5 posts to it, 1 at the top,1 at the bottom,1 on each side and 1 in the middle of the 2 side posts. So 4 sections x 5 posts is 20 posts needed.

Am i right so far??

1) what is the difference between a circular saw and a mitre saw?
Reading about them, they both seem to do the same job to me.....

Circular saw - revolving round saw blade,hand held,look like this ,used for cutting in straight lines.

Mitre saw - revolving round saw blade,fastened to it's own base,used more for cutting wood to pre-selected angles,like this

Also can be hand operated

Hope this helps.

you need 9 boards to cover one meter 111x9 =999 so work out the square m and times by 9 then deduct windows and uncoverd openings add on 20% for wastage

plan the lengths accordingly dont just say i will get 2 full lengths with 500mm left over see if its more economical to have one full length and two or three shorter bits to use up the greater amount

Thanks mate. I've just tried to calclaute the square meters and i think i got to be calculating this wrong!! My building will be 1.2m in lenght and 1.2m wide and 1.5m high. So 1.2x1.2 = 1.44x9=12.96!

Obviously i don't know what i'm doing......

wall 1=1.2x 1.5 = 1.8
wall2ditto----------1.8
wall3 ditto----------1.8
wall 4 ditto---------1.8

4x 1.8====7.2 +20% =8.64m x9=78m

minus any openings your not filing with planks but egnore this comment as it will only frazzle your bwain :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back