Shiplap edges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My query concerns the finishing off and weatherproofing of shiplap ends. I've seen two constructions and only hope I can describe them usefully :-
(1) A vertical flat beading fitted flush to and abutting the ends along its length. This seems to be the most popular.
(2) A vertical 'L' shaped beading with the head of the 'L' to the wall and 'foot' of the 'L' over the front of the shiplap thus covering the ends in the crook of the 'L'.
It seems to me that the 'L' alternative would be more weatherproof for the ends (and mask inaccurate cutting of the shiplap).

Help, can someone please advise me what is the best. The job is re-cladding an outside house wall. The house is of stone construction.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I used a flatt(ish) teak strip. I considered the "L" shape but thought it would crack.

I have some hardwood window trims and am considering fixing an extra strip at right-angles to cover the joint, though. I have treated all the battens and stuff as if the join is not going to be weather-proof, though, just cosmetic.

What is this "inaccurate cutting" you speak of? ;)

Inaccurate cutting = I don't trust my ability to saw a straight line to length at each end each time to get a flush abuttment to vertical beading !

Sponsored Links
Hire or borrow or buy a cut-off saw. They give a superb finish, and it's cut square. If you cut it 2mm too long, you can use the saw to shave it off, saves loads of grief.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back