Should I cut joist, or cut joist rest, or remove joist rest

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am replacing small hall floor (12 foot span) to give floor access to cellar. The floor access opening will be 24x20inch. I will be using 8x2 inch joists doubled around the floor opening, with doubled headers. The joists will be fixed into the wall (no joist hangers). The joists originally had 2 rests: a rest at one end -(span 3) feet, 20 inches from the wall below the joist span; a rest at the other end, 40inches from the wall and 2inches higher. I intended to replace both the rests with doubled 4x2inches timber.

So my question is because one of the rests is at a 2 inches higher level, either the joists need to be cut into (original joists were cut into); or the rest needs to cut into, or the rest needs to be removed?

I am very greatful for any advice.

Sponsored Links
A bit difficult to understand, can you do a photo or drawing :?:

The opening joists on each side should be double known as a trimmer all the way long.

I know it's not easy explaining on the forum but I need to be clearer what you want to do, a picture speak a thousand words!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying masona.

I am at work at the moment but will post a picture this evening. However the short of it is that I am concerned about cutting 2 inches into the doubled (trimmers) where they rest on a support and wondered if it was ok to either cut into the support or just not have the support.

Will post a picture.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back