Should I tell this plumber not to bother????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gloworm back boiler with pump assisted CH and gravity fed HW, open vented with f&e tank. The boiler was replaced 5 years ago with no problems until!!!!!!!

After having the system drained to fit a new HW cylinder the HW no longer works. A plumber came released some air from the heat exchanger it work for 2 days, came again worked for 4 days.........cold again now. This plumber suggested if it went again opting for a fully pumped system to correct the problem. I know the existing pump is working fine because the radiators including downstairs are always fully heated and the system was working fine before the new cylinder was fitted. The pipe into the exchanger is cold I cannot trace it back far because the pipes are boxed in. The open vent is clear of the water level and no warm water in the tanks the water level was slighty low but topped it up a little.

I have, very reluctantly, called the plumber who after all fitted the cylinder to come and have a look (who claims to be Corgi registered in his advert but openly admitted when I asked him to service the back boiler that he was not) He claims it is NOT an airlock and that the 3 way valve that is situated in the loft needs replacing and he will pop along in the morning! even after I told him twice that some air had already been removed and had temporarily fixed it, he stilI insists this is not a problem with airlocks. I cannot find a valve in my loft or in the installation manual, and would a gravity fed system have one anyway? But what would I know I am just a 60 yr old woman trying to make sense of this.

My f&e tank is also lined with white slime like wet chipwood wallpaper surely this cannot be good should I clean out the tank?

Can anyone suggest a way of getting the air out of the coil I miss my constant HW in the winter PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks Kev you have confirmed what I think I already knew. Come to think of it he had bottle bottom specs and a hearing aid as well. But this is naughty I shouldn't mock the afflicted.

if its air might try getting somebody to slacken the union on the flow

of the other way is to boil it out

but i wouldnt reccomend trying it at your age :)

best bet is when he turns up to replace the three port valve ask him for the old one :evil:

Sponsored Links
OK. The plumber turned up this afternoon (not very busy I wonder why) it took me 20 min to convince him there is no valve on a gravity feed, went into the loft asked him to show me, he couldn't. Wanted to check pump and drain cock under the floor told him it wasn't there either. He said the vent pipe was blocked..... no it isn't I checked it.

Asked him several times to loosen nut to coil and vent it from there grudgingly he did, air rushed out hot water rushed in very satisfying...all working.

But the best bit is he blamed the previous plumber for putting in an elbow joint from the vent pipe to the coil hence the air was getting past, the plumber that put the system in years ago was great had no problems, this cowboy put in a larger cylinder and put the joint in to lift it to fit, said he could put it right but would have to charge for that. So he charges me for something he did wrong and tries to blame somebody else for his incompetence!!!!!!!!!! So he got on his horse and left....no charge this time.

Many thanks for getting back.

Glad to hear its fixed. If you still have a copy of his advert why not send it to CORGI and/or your local trading standards. You were smart enough not to fall for his spurs but others more venerable may be less fortunate.

I'm one of the old folks pedanticvindictiveman, it didn't stop this guy from flirting though and I'm old enough to be his mum.....well nearly.....my hubby had a great laugh at this when he came in from the pub.

Am I right in thinking that as long as he sticks to basic plumbing and he is not touching gas he isn't actually doing anything illegal, although as I said above his advert is misleading.

As far as I Know it is illegal to advertise your CORGI registered if your not, it's also breaking the trade descriptions, Fellers have been prosecuted for it I believe.

(7) No person shall falsely pretend to be a member of a class of persons required to be approved under paragraph (3) above.

installation and use regs

he is breaking the law :evil:

He should have left a vent point on the pipe into the cylinder. It sounds like he couldn't have done, so you will get air sticking there again. On most/many gravity systems the system vent pipe goes from the upper of the two pipes into the cylinder, upwards and over the header tank in the loft. Perhaps it now goes downhill for a bit after yer man's efforts - or something equally incompetent?

Threaten to report him to trading standards for advertising that he's a corgi, unless he installs a vent point.
When he's done that, report him to trading standards for advertising that he's a corgi :evil:

Just checked his advert again he states "CORGI/ACOPS trained".TRAINED as opposed to REG. is this a play on words.

Yes I suspect the problem will re-occur and it did cross my mind to ask about putting in an extra vent point but at the time I just wanted rid and did not intend putting any more cash in his bank account.

I like older women but not too old, but it's allways them that flirt with me, happened this morning, lady old enough to be my mum, oh your early, I have only just come out of the shower, you might have seen me in the nude, dont worry I said, I would DEFINATELY avert my eyes I said :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back