Shower joint leak/exposed valve

mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an exposed hudson reed shower valve where the chrome supply pipes lead to the tile fronts, then to the hidden copper pipes behind the wall/tiles. The problem is the left pipe (hot) has a slight leak from where the compression joint is at the copper pipe/shower valve join. I've tried tightening the joint almost to the maximum and somewhat dubious about trying too much in case I damage the pipework. There's no way of removing the olive to fit a new one because the nut won't go far back enough to get an olive splitter around it. The only other alternative is to break out the whole of the tiles/wall and fit a completely new pipe, which I'd like to avoid if possible.

Is it feasible to place another olive in front of the existing olive and re-tighten joint? On the basis I'd be hoping the new olive has a nice fit into the chrome valve end?

Sponsored Links
wrap ptfe tape around the front of the olive and over the front part about 3-4 turns and try that.

[/img]

30601.gif
(alt+p)[/img]

Sponsored Links
Hello,

I just bought the same shower unit and had exactly the same problem. My leak was very small and a tiny dab of silicone sealant did the trick for me as I really didn't feel happy about tightening it anymore. Now it has developed a new problem in that it doesn't get hot enough anymore when you turn it on! You have to turn it on, then after it reaches luke warm turn it off then back on again and it is fine. Hi spec combi boiler with instant hw and lots of pressure so no probs there. Plus it worked fine for the first month or so! Don't suppose you or anyone else encountered this, especially as you have to take the tiles off and rip the pipes out to get the unit back to the manufacture for a check.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back