Shower pump leak - casing bust open

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

The plastic casing on the cold end of my Centrigen 2000D shower pump has busted open and water now spews out of the 3mm gap when the shower is on.

DSCF0452.JPG

Any ideas what the cause might be and how to fix it?

Thanks,

Rob

Sponsored Links
Things like water starvation can do this. The pump gets a hard time, overheats, and things distort. Seen it on a £250 Salamander pump. Is it fed from a flange on a cylinder one side, and direct from a cistern the other?

Could just be a cr ap pump of course...

Yep, cylinder one side, direct from cistern on t'other.

Well, it's an old pump, I'm guessing at least 10 years.

So is that it then, it's had it? Beyond repair? Seems a shame as it was working perfectly yesterday.

How would water starvation happen? I've had a few air locks from time to time, could that have contributed? Don't want to spank a load of money on a new pump only for it to blow again.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
robmorgan said:
Well, it's an old pump, I'm guessing at least 10 years.
It's probably done well then. ;)

So is that it then, it's had it? Beyond repair? Seems a shame as it was working perfectly yesterday.
Er, no - it was one day away from failure yesterday.

How would water starvation happen? I've had a few air locks from time to time, could that have contributed?
Only a lot.

Don't want to spank a load of money on a new pump only for it to blow again.
Get a brass bodied pump and plumb exactly how the manufacturer specifies.

Does this one look like a good bet?

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A334831&ts=60653&id=46231[/QUOTE]
I'd rather put my money on a Stuart Turner.

Summat wrong here - I still haven't found any reason to disagree with you Dan.
Could you say something controversial just to clear the air? ;)

eeerrr.... I liked one of the songs on Avril Lavigne's last album... Thats about as controversial as I can get at this time of night without getting locked out by the Mods...

That's a pathetic attempt - I like at least one of them too.

Surely there must be something. Do you like Plumber's Mait and Boss White? Do you think Wickes make good quality waste traps? Do you think Agile is someone to be admired for his tact and respect for personal boundaries?

I once fitted a Triton shower pump!

It failed with an open circuit motor after just four days.

The manufacturers just were not interested. Ever since then I have NEVER bought ANY of their products.

I take every opportunity to say what I think of their company in surveys and to their sales people at the exhibitions.

Their products are bad but their customer service attitude to installers is even WORSE !!!

Tony

I use Blackswan Liquid PTFE or Loctite 55 whatyamecallit. Can't stand Plumbers Mait- sags like Ruby Waxs' whatsits.

Have never had the mispleasure to use anythingother than a Wickes E/F 15mm coupling - four times the price of my usuasl merchants :eek: .

Tony? abrasive, prickly, eccentric; but I like to think we are friends... There are few people I hold grudges against... I even had a soft spot for Bamber. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back