Shower pump Wireing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Just wondering if anybody could help with this.

just about to put in a shower pump in for a customer and im not too sure how it should be wired, it said it should be on a pull cord isolation switch and spured off an existing ring, so i was wondering if it would be ok to wire it into the same ring as the light in the bathroom????

or could i spur off the immersion heater ring??

the manual says the following about the electrics, is what i thought (above right or am i just been stupid?) if so any sugestions? or is it a job for someone with Part P??

any suggestions appreciated.

ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION
THIS PUMP MUST BE EARTHED

The electrical installation MUST be undertaken by a competent person and MUST comply with the relevant IEE regulations.

All pipework must be cross bonded and an RCCB fitted in compliance with IEE regulations.

The 240 volt supply should be taken via a fused spur from the domestic ring main and fitted with a 5 amp fuse. Higher rated fuses should not be fitted.

Sponsored Links
wonderb0y said:
The electrical installation MUST be undertaken by a competent person and MUST comply with the relevant IEE regulations.

I'm afraid you do not sound competant

I’ve no problem wiring off a spur but I thought I’d post something here and see if somebody else had previous experience wiring them, and if it's going to be bigger job than what I originally thought then I have no problem calling someone out.

Or if someone could tell me how they would do it, not much point replying if your not going to be much help is their?

Sponsored Links
My sparky takes a spur off of the immersion circuit - except when the immersion is in regular use. I would be interested to know if this is ok, I have always assumed this is an ok thing to do but a few things I have read here suggests otherwise.

Thanks that sounds more sensible, i'll check it out first before i do anything.

Spurring from an immersion supply (with an immersion still connected) is not strictly a breach of BS7671 but IMO it is bad practice, and the IEE onsite guide also advises against it.

I'm sorry but I agree with Ricicle on this one. Wonderboy, what electrical qualifications do you have? Is the pump going in the bathroom? Is the main and supplementary bonding up to spec? Are you a member of a self cert scheme? Do you have PLI? A spark once said to me your customer might be your best friend until something goes wrong and then the become your worst enemy.

there are many different shower pumps available,even wired incorrectly they will work but safety could be impeeded.
in your question you state the makers instructions and these must be followed.any variations need to be backed up with iee documation.
after fitting and before use,essentail tests need to be carried out.

Hi wonderboy.
O.k like some of the other posters have indicated if you are at all unsure about any wiring then get in a registered electrician,as it only takes one wrongly connected wire and your customer may never get to use the shower and you`re in prison.
As a general rule though ....
Dont connect the shower pump to the lighting circuit as if,at night,there is a problem with that circuit your left without lights in that room to work.
In an ideal world a designated circuitfrom the C.U/distribution board to the point of use is much better.
However...
Like the manual states ,take a spur off the upstairs ring/radial (using the same size cable that is used on the ring/radial) to a switched fused connection unit (which MUST be sited OUTSIDE the bathroom)
Then from there using (*1.5mm*) cable run this to your pull switch in the bathroom ceiling,then back down to your shower pump.
Some electricians may or may not use a pull cord switch,instead using a switched fused connection unit (which you used earlier outside the bathroom) for means of isolation.
Remember any circuits that enter the zones of the bathroom MUST be BONDED to each other AND to all EXPOSED CONDUCTIVE metal work in the bathroom USING THE CORRECT SIZE EARTH EARTH CABLE for the installation.
*I say 1.5mm cable as a general rule but if the manual states the circuit only needs a 5amp fuse for protection then you `could` use 1mm cable, just think about the consumer may want to upgrade the pump in the future*.
WOW...... one more point ...
Even after all the work you have done you MUST get in a registered (part p) electrician to check your work and get him/her to sign it off for you before the circuit is put into use.

Thanks for all the reply’s

The pump is going to be sited inside the airing cupboard, I think I’ll call someone out tomorrow and get some numbers, might as well get it done properly by someone whos qualified even if they take a spur off emersion heater it's not been done by me at least :D

thanks again for all the comments

So you'd be happy if that's what someone suggested, even though you now know it is not best practice?

it's not my pump.

if im going to be their when they are installing it and thats what they suggest i will question any other alternitives but if they said that was the best way and was going to sign it off, then to be honest it's to do with the customer and the sparky any future problems which might occure at least it will have been done by a qualified sparky.

This has got me intrigued. My sparky spurs from an immersion circuit; I have never had any reason to doubt him, but some members here seem quite against it. Are the regs not that rigid on this then? Why is there uncertainty or flexability? Virtually every immersion heater I have come across is sitting there doing nothing until the boiler one day packs up. Usually it is repaired within a week or so. Is it deemed unsafe and bad practice to use this, in most cases, redundant circuit?

in theory its a 15/16/20a radial circuit not a dedicated immersion circuit so in fact there is no reason why it cant be extended with a spur.

the reason i think its frowned upon is that an imersion tends to be around the 3kw? mark which is 13a, stick a 3a fuse in and you have a potential of 16a`s overloading a 3036 fuse for starters

thats my understanding anyway....... probably wrong....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back