Shower Pump wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All, I am looking to wire in a 1.5 Bar shower pump to boost my water pressure.
I have a spur from the lighting circuit spare in my bathroom on a 5 Amp fuse (in the consumer unit). Can I extend this wire to power my 5 Amp shower pump? Or should it come off the ring main on a 13 Amp fuse?

Will the 5 Amp shower pump overload the lighting circuit?

Sponsored Links
If your pump is rated at 5A and your Lighting circuit Fuse is 5A then you aint got much to play with.

Use a "switched" fused spur off your ring main this way the "switch" will provide some means of isolaton as well. clearly label it when done. And dont put it in your bathroom (just outside please) . Im not sure if your aware of the part P rules but your not suppose to carry out any electrical work in a Bathroom unless you inform the LABC and persuade them you are compitent.

Robfurn, thanks for the reply, thats just the news I didn't want, but hey thats life. Thanks again. Will have to get a sparky in to do a proper job.

Sponsored Links
Yes it comes from the tank and not from the mains. My mains pressure is awesome but the height differential between my tank and the shower head is only about 2 foot hence poor pressure.

Well the pump is now plumbed in just waiting for a sparky to come round tonight and put a new fuse in the board and wire off that.

Thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back