Shower room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all! Just found this forum, looks like just what I was looking for. Just started refurbushing a shower room, basically ripped everything out and at a point where I need to put things back now ! Q

Question is what do I put in first ? I was thinking of the shower tray first, pipework to the shower/hand wash basin, replastering the whole room and then doing the tiling ? Anyone got any thoughts/comments ?

Sponsored Links
Watched 'professionals'. They plastered, fitted shower tray, tiled and then put in small plastic plumbing for electrical shower. However plastic shower tray easily scratched so I rapidly put towel down first and then square of carpet to protect. Elsewhere with rigid pipes they ran them up inside wall with small bit sticking out ready for tiling.

Thanks for that. If I do it this way, I guess I'll need to sort out pipe locations etc for the shower and basin. When they put the shower tray in, how did they fit the waste pipe to it ? The shower trays that I've seen don't have that much clearance below. Do you have to build a base for it ?

You can either build a base or you can remove a small section of flooring and let the waste trap sit between the joists but it will depend on where your waste pipe is to run to.It is commonplace to clip the waste pipe to the joist and run it to your external wall keeping it all below floor level but don't forget to give it a slight fall. Obviously this is only possible if the joists run the way you want them to but either way you can still set the waste trap into the floor enough to reduce the height of any base by a few inches.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. I think I'll go with building the base option, there's a waste pipe already going through the wall so I'll stick with that. Some of trays i've seen are only 55mm high so even with a base the height should be ok.

Thanks for the replis

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back