Shower tray traps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone out there explain shower tray traps to me.

Sorry if I sound a bit thick but the tray that I have just bought has a very small trap and I can not see how it would work. My understanding was that the traps were U shaped in order that they could 'trap' the water and so prevent odours from entering the bathroom through the waste pipes.

Do I have to fit a seperate trap spmewhere on the waste run prior to it entering the soil pipe?

Sponsored Links
I don't think "U" bends are used in the case of showers. What you have is probably a shower and will be what you need. Try googling "shower trap" and see what you get, I've just done it.

jimbo5050 said:
Can anyone out there explain shower tray traps to me.
They use the same principle as bottle traps.

My understanding was that the traps were U shaped in order that they could 'trap' the water and so prevent odours from entering the bathroom through the waste pipes.
That's certainly the function, but usually there isn't room for a U shaped trap.

Do I have to fit a seperate trap spmewhere on the waste run prior to it entering the soil pipe?
No.

Thanks for the replies.

Softus, I've checked out google as Stivino suggetsed. I see what you mean about the bottle traps (I didn't realise that they worked like that :oops: ).

However, what seems to be suggested by some of the sites is that if my shower waste is feeding straight into the soil stack, then I need to fit a deep seal trap. I will be installing the shower tray on a wooden floor which I have access to via a hatch. I this what I need to do? :confused:

Sponsored Links
IIRC the recommended water seal is 50mm, but the ones that tend to be supplied with trays are commonly less.

The risk that you're attempting to mitigate is the flow of water down the stack acting to reduce pressure after the trap and draw water out. The closer the trap is to the stack the greater the risk, so if you have room for 50mm then go for that; better still 75mm.

Thanks Softus,

Seeing as I have to run the waste under the floor any way which will involve cutting a hole, could I just not fit a 75 mm seal directly under the tray?

jimbo5050 said:
could I just not fit a 75 mm seal directly under the tray?
Um, that's what I envisaged. What did you think I meant? :confused:

Sorry, probably didn't explain myself too well.

I assumed you meant that the height of the tray dictates the type of trap and ultimately the length of seal, regardless of what type of floor I am installing the tray onto, otherwise anyone with a wooden floor would usually be able to do what I am proposing and not have to have one of these very small traps.

Shower traps are new territory for me, so I just want to make sure I get it right first time, so I apologise for double checking ;)

Raise your shower tray by building a frame with 6 x 2 and use one of THESE

I have had no problems with these type of traps. :D

Bahco said:
Raise your shower tray by building a frame with 6 x 2 ...
My favourite frame is a lattice of 3"x2" timber - you then have a choice of heights: 4", 5" or 6".

...and use one of THESE

I have had no problems with these type of traps. :D
Although I haven't laid hands on one of those, it looks hideously poor quality compared to McAlpine traps.

you can buy plastic pannelling to cover the framework, dont forget to leave access in the framework to get to the trap if needed

jimbo5050 said:
Thanks guys,

but how do you disguise the framework? I can't imagine it looks too pretty.

You could use fancy skirting board and paint it white or varnish it or trim it with plastic board, I think mira do a kit for trimming off shower trays.

jimbo5050 said:
but how do you disguise the framework?
Plywood panel, then tile over. If you want the panel to be removeable, then use mirror screws, or screws with little white plastic covers, or anything like that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back