shower woe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
recently changed cord to ceiling pullswitch.
supply L/N
load L/N
neon connected to load
when pull switch on neon glows
Turn shower on neon goes out and no indiator on shower
any ideas ....i need a wash[/img]

Sponsored Links
If the light goes out 'on load' then there is a high impedance in the supply. Look for a join not properly made clean metal to clean metal. Or supply not reaching switch properly. - try putting a lamp holder (as a test only) in place of the switch, and seeing if you can light a 100W bulb when you put the fuse back in.. Just because a low current load (neon or meter) sees some volts, doesn't guarantee a reliable supply. Also check the fuse/breaker it could be open circuit, but with enough capacitive coupling round it to light a neon lamp if long lengths of energised cable run next to the dead one.

When this happened to me the problem was a fault in the N side of the DP switch. Enough connection to light the neon only until load applied by shower and still live getting through to the shower. Odd that this has gone wrong if you only changed the string, but sounds like either loose connection or defective switch.

pull cord is defective or has loose connection, buy a new one, about a tenner

Sponsored Links
Check that you haven't cross L & N over on the new switch -

Red (brown?) goes to L
Black (blue?) goes to N

Red to shower (brown?) goes to L-LOAD
Black to shower (blue?) goes to N-LOAD.

Seen this happen before - neon goes weird if lines are crossed over.

TT

Can you explain the theory behind that?

I can't quite get my head round how the neon knows what colour wires are where.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back