Silicon bead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can you tell how to get a nice even bead of silicon I always seem to make mess of it

Sponsored Links
Get yourself one of these from B&Q;

SSF523-Sealant-Finisher.jpg

With a bit of practice with your gun technique, one of these gizmos, and some builders' baby wipes (again from B&Q) you'll be getting professional results in no time.

Tip - smear a bit of washing up liquid on the plastic thingy before use.

...and use the thing in the FORWARD direction, scooping up the excess.

I too use to make a real mess of this but have been given a few tips and they really work. Mask of the sides with some electrical tape (seems to work better then masking tape and peels of smoother). Gun in your silicone and then spray it with a bit of water mixed with washing up liquid (as mentioned earlier), try to spary from something that gives a fine mist. (Empty spray sun lotion bottles are good). Next, you'll need one of gods free tools. Spray your thumb and forefinger and run either along the silicone in ONE LONG CONTINUOUS stroke. You may need to run it over more than once to achieve the right width/depth. Bit of practice and you'll get better.

Sponsored Links
I just spit on my finger and wipe . The water is the key .
But Marks and Spencers own brand conditioner is also good to add to the mix :rolleyes:

Make sure you cut the end of the nozzle to the right size, too big and youll get loads of excess, too small and you wont fill the joint.

Use the push motion, and the back of the nozzle smooth it as you push.

well said Mod 1

I hate people who write and talk like that.

One of my all time pet hates is that..

ok carry on, ignore me..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back