silicone sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i put sealant on the edges of the bath as whoever fitted it put some kinda strips of plastic to join bath to tiles which isnt sealed to the bath but is grouted onto the tiles

put the sealant on (which wasnt silicone sealant, just bathroom sealant which presumably is not as good but had it lying around)

it has stuck fine to the strip but not really to the bath

is there anything i need to know about putting sealant on or other ways to seal it in?

Sponsored Links
thorouhly clean both edges to be sealed

fill the bath 70% full ,silicon leave several hours to cure dependant on type

my only problem at the moment is that the bath has a small hole in it and cannot fill it, we only shower in the bath at the moment so no probs there but are there any other ways to weigh it down other than paying a fat bloke to sleep in it for a few nights

any tips on what to clean it with, should i maybe rub the bath edges gently with some wet and dry paper to make it take better? i dont care if it means a couple of little scratches :)

Put some insulation tape over the hole on the inside of the bath - that'll temporarily hold until the sealant goes off.
You could use meths to clean the area to be siliconed.

Sponsored Links
assuming its accrylic/plastic use something like a plastic scraper to remove old silicone
or try one of these if theres lots
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea...ilicon+eater&pn=1&pd=1&pi=1&cn=1&cd=1&x=7&y=7

you just need the bath squeeky clean [no grease no bath clean residue]
if its clean it will stick like poo to a blanket
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=56205&ts=56934

as col says if its a small hole [12mm]fill it with silicon
if its bigger a bit off wood 50mm bigger than the hole with a bead of silicone round the edge [assuming its on a nearly flat bit]but only for loading up purposes

thanks for the advice guys, its about 5cm long and 0.5 cm wide and they have tried to repair it in the past by the looks, ill get some duct tape on it and try seaing it up with something a bit stronger but its kinda on the edge where it curls up

i might just load it up with a load of bricks or something so its nice and heavy :)

thanks for tips on sealing it in guys, ill let u know how it goes

also how have people solved the problem of water running along the edge, then off onto the wall if u know what i mean

i personal would not be happy with tape !!!!!!
your loading up with water very messy stuff if it escapes :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :eek:

is the hole in the bottom or somwhere up the side!!!!
if its about half way up just fill below the hole!!!

mmmmm are you shure !!!
i think you should be changing/fixing the bath before you try and seal it :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

Gaz2923

I have to respectfully disagree with Big-All. Silicon caulk will stick tenaciously to both glazed ceramic tile and the baked-on enamel finish on a steel bathtub.

The problem is that nothing sticks well to old silicon sealant, not even new silicon sealant. Consequently, unless you remove the old silicon sealant completely, then the new silicon sealant will not be sticking to either glazed tile or a baked on enamel coating; it'll be sticking to a very thin film of old silicon sealant (which in turn is sticking tenaciously to the tile or tub). And, it's the adhesion problems created by that thin film of old silicon that give rise to the idea of caulking the tub with water in it. The gameplan is to put weight in the tub so that any gap between it and the tiles widens, and caulk then so that the caulk will not be in tension when the tub is in use. The problem, of course, is that this is treating the symptom, not the cause, and the water in the tub at the time of caulking is more likely to create adhesion problems if it gets splashed up onto the surfaces you want to caulk.

Here's how to remove the old silicon completely:

Go to your caulking aisle and look for a silicon caulk remover. In Canada, DAP (which is the consumer products division of Dow Corning) markets a product called "Silicone-Be-Gone". I expect you have something similar there.

1. Remove as much of the old silicon caulk as possible with a razor blade.

2. Apply the silicon caulk remover to the residual film of silicon caulk. This stuff is gelled, so apply it with the brush fitted to the cap, but then spread it with your finger. The warmth from your finger will melt it and leave a uniform coat of the stuff on the old silicon.

Silicon caulk remover doesn't dissolve the old silicon, it just causes it to swell up and get soft so that it can be more readily removed by mechanical means, such as scrubbing it off with a green nylon ScotchBrite pad.

3. After the caulk remover has had an hour or so to work, scrape again with the razor to remove most of what's left and smear more remover over the old silicon.

4. After another hour, scrape again, and this time use a nylon scouring pad (of the kind sold in grocery stores for scrubbing pots) to remove the remaining silicone caulk. (IF you have a fiberglass or acrylic bathtub, you might want to use the less abrasive white nylon pads instead.)

5. Wash the caulk remover off with water (it's water soluble) and towel dry.

6. Any residual silicon caulk still on the tub or tile will still be soft and swollen, and this step makes use of that fact. Sprinkle some portland cement powder (or any very finely ground powder, perhaps even baking flour) onto the area where the old caulk was and rub with your finger. If any residual silicon caulk is present, then the powder will become embedded in it's soft surface and remain there, thereby revealing it's location. If there isn't any residual silicon on the surface, then the powder will wipe off the tile and tub surfaces cleanly.

7. Now, use the silicon caulk remover only on those places where the powder revealed residual silicon caulk. (Normally, at this point, it's just a matter of using a dental pick to remove pieces of silicon caulk from the cracks and crevices along the joint between the tub and tile.)

I own a 21 unit apartment block, and I have to replace the silicon caulk around every tub as it becomes discolored with mildew. I find that:

A) the trick to getting new silicon caulk to adhere properly is in removing the old silicon caulk completely, and using a silicon caulk remover and finely ground powder allows a person to do that with confidence.

B) I'm continually surprised at how much residual silicon the powder proved is still there. No matter how good a job I think I've done, the powder generally proves it wasn't as good as I thought.

C) I have 21 bathtubs and each tub has a shower, so I'm 21 times as likely to have water damage on a ceiling below if my silicon caulk isn't holding well. That also means that I have 21 times as much confidence that my method of removing the old silicon completely is the trick to getting a waterproof seal with the new silicon.

If anyone has any trouble locating DAP "Silicone-Be-Gone" caulk remover or a competitor's equivalent over there, lemme know and I'm sure I can find a hardware store or home center over here willing to ship it overseas. You'd prolly have to pay for that shipping, tho.

Here's how you can fix a hole in a bathtub, even if it's on the bottom of the tub:

Clean the area of the hole well to remove any loose material.

There will likely be water present from the cleaning operation, so then flood that area with isopropyl alcohol and wipe it up with a paper towel. Water is soluble in isopropyl alcohol (and all alcohols I think), so any residual water in the crevices of the rough surface of the hole will disperse into the alcohol, which will then be wicked into the paper towel.

The isopropyl alcohol will evaporate completely without leaving a residue.

The surface of the hole is now perfectly dry.

Mix up some epoxy adhesive about the volume of what's needed to fill the hole.

Put a small square of Saran wrap (or any clear transparent film) onto the epoxy blob, then pull it off, turn it over and position it over the hole you want to fill.

Put the film down so that the epoxy is over the hole, and then use a finger dipped into liquid dish washing detergent to work the epoxy into the hole through the film. The soap will act as both a lubricant and shock absorber to allow you to get a near perfectly smooth surace under the film.

If you find you can't get all the epoxy into the hole, or you need more epoxy, pull the film off. Some of the epoxy will come off with the film and you can put another film with more epoxy on it. Alternatively, if you want to remove some epoxy, pull the film off and put a dry piece of Saran wrap down. Then smooth again with a soapy finger.

Now, allow the epoxy to cure overnight. The Saran wrap will often pull cleanly off the epoxy the next day, but even if it doesn't, it's so much softer than the epoxy that you can remove it just be scraping it off with a finger nail.

You can buy bathtub paints to paint over the repair if desired.

i agree that i should be replacing the bath, the only problem i have is this

in terms of fixing it, its the wall side, right on the bottom curve where the side meets the base so hard/impossible to access from underneath without removing the tub

in terms of replacing it im only going to be living in the house for another year and i would consider replacing the bath although am unsure what it would cost and whether i would need to have the tiling redone around it etc etc

im confused now as to what i should do :s

I just finished talking to DAP's technical services department at ph. 1-416-321-1522. Apparantly, their silicon caulk remover is not sold in the US, and "Jim" (whom I spoke to) could not explain why not.

He did tell me that for consumers in the US, DAP recommends using white spirits (paint thinner) to cause the residual silicon to get "gummy" for easier removal. He also mentioned that competitor companies like Amtex and Silicones Unlimited also market silicon caulk removers, but only in 1 liter containers. (The DAP Silicone-Be-Gone product is available in Canada in 90 ml bottles, and even that's enough to do two or 3 bathtubs.)

I also requested an MSDS sheet for Silicone-Be-Gone, which they promised to send snail mail. When I get it, hopefully I'll be able to determine what the active ingredients in it are, and will post that info here.

If people don't have access to a gelled silicon caulk remover, then if it were me, I would set strips of paper towels soaked with paint thinner over the residual silicon and then cover those wet strips with something like Saran Wrap to prevent the paint thinner from evaporating. I have also been told that isopropyl alcohol helps in removing old silicon caulk, but Jim said that he'd not heard that and that DAP recommends paint thinner.

I tried to download an MSDS sheet on that DAP Silicone-Be-Gone product, but was unable to find one online. Will post what's in it when I get the paper version.

got to be very carefull as we are possibly talking fibreglass or plastic bath and of course have to be carfull of solvents

because you wont punch a hole in a steel bath and cast iron would tend to be a 5 part puzzle if its got a hole in it

the links i put above where for silicone remover
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea...ilicon+eater&pn=1&pd=1&pi=1&cn=1&cd=1&x=7&y=7
i should have put a proviso that if they have a"plastic "type bath they check the silicon eater is sutable before use ;)

Nestor_Kelebay said:
Gaz2923

I have to respectfully disagree with Big-All. Silicon caulk will stick tenaciously to both glazed ceramic tile and the baked-on enamel finish on a steel bathtub.

mmm not shure where i said it wouldnt stick :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

my only reference was to "not trusting" insulation tape to hold the water in the bath during loading!!!
or is tis a special tape desighned for the purpose :LOL: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back