silicone sealer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone give me some advice on how to apply silicone around a bath, I apply a nice thin bead but there is always a blob or two on it due to me stopping, hitting an uneven surface or air blob, I then try to smooth with finger and really bodge it up, there must be some easy tip for this
any help would be appreciated...thanks....bodgit. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
This is the way I was shown.
Firstly, make sure everything is spotlessly clean (white spirit meths etc.).
Put masking tape on your bath and tiles about 5mm from the edge (this is not essential, depends how confident you are).
Next get a thinnish piece of plastic, like you get with Araldite, Isopon or even better an old "flexible friend" as it already has a radius corner.
Run your bead down the length of the bath in a single run, then use your plastic to force it into the gap, keeping your spreader clean as the silicone builds up on it (cloth not paper).
If you force it in properly you will end up with a thin "film" on tiles and bath which you don't want. Don't panic ! Wait till it dries properly (a good week) and then GENTLY score the along edges of the radius with a new sharp blade and then rub the excess film away with your thumb.
Voila job done !
Best of luck m8

Or....

wet your finger with saliva before gently wiping over.

The saliva prevents the silicone sticking to your finger.

Practice makes mess!

PS. Silicone probably isn't good to ingest!

I don't think licking you finger is a good idea - especially if using sanitry sealant that added anti-fungaside added!

If sealing a bath it's best done with the bath full of water - stick you finger or whatever you are using in the bath water to stop the silcone sticking :)

Sponsored Links
A lot cleaner if you use surgical glove (approx £5 per 100) I'm now using surgical glove for most building work as it's a lot thinner than glove as in bricklaying,plasterering etc,but always use the correct gloves for the job.

thanks guys for your help, will report on my results....bodgit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back