Sill and lintel preparation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,i have a victorian house,the window sills are the large cast sort,along with the decorative lintels over the windows,large bay windows downstairs,again with large sills.OK,questions.

1)The bay window sills have worn quite a bit,it looks like a previous owner has skimmed the top with cement,to smooth them up,and this is lifting away,is there a way to reskim ie,special mix/type of cement i should use to smarten them up?what about making sure it bonds to the original material,Unibond?

2)On all the other sills,it is just a case of removing the old flaky paint,and repainting,but do i need to remove ALL traces of old paint,or just to remove loose stuff then key and Unibond before painting with masonry paint?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Cant help on the first point but I would try to remove all the paint if possible...you oviously have a adhesion problem there and what isnt lifting this year may lift next year or sooner

As a new coat of paint dries it shrinks and there is surface tension..it your new coats has stuck well to the existing pint, which isnt stuck well to the surface itself it may also cause it to lift in time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back