silly knock through question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Scanned the posts and cant seem to work my dumb question out. All it is is this. I've got to knock through into the extension i've built but all that puzzles me is this:

Am i right in assuming you insert your acros and strong boys higher than where the top of the steel will be (otherwise you will be pushing your steel up agianst the strong boy thus trapping them).

If so the what i have gone for is ive gone to one row of brick higher than the top of the steel, so that the steel pushes up against a row of bricks.

But as i cut and knock out for the steel what happens if that row comes off and then i am left with pushing the steels up against the strong boys.

Does my question make sense.

Am i missing something here.

grateful for any help
cheers

Sponsored Links
if the joists are set into the masonry above, you can prop the joists using the acros and a thick batten and keep the masonry up from here. if any brick or block work falls out below the joists, just re-build it on top of the steels.

You put the temporary supports higher to allow room to actually get the beam in to its designed level. If any bricks drop out then you replace these.

You don't put the beam in higher just because there may be extra room

And remember to pack the joint well between the steel and the wall above to prevent it settling and cracking further up

Sponsored Links
if there will be any masonry above the proposed steel position, (between the top of the steel and the underside of the floor joists or ceiling) this is where you will be required to needle.

depending on the span, you will need to knock a hole/s through the wall, pass a thick batten or scaffold tube, say 1500 long through the hole/s. you will then prop each end of this "needle", thus securing the masonry above.

if there aint no masonry above the steels.......well that's another story.

wot ive done is strong boyed one side [skin] and stroong boyed the otherside. does that sound okay

wot ive done is strong boyed one side [skin] and stroong boyed the otherside. does that sound okay

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back