simpson column base for 6 foot solid fence?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My landscape architect has specified the use of Simpson CB66PC metal column bases (embedded in concrete) to attach the fence posts. The Simpson web site states that, \\\"Post bases do not provide adequate resistance to prevent members from rotating about the base and therefore are not recommended for non top-supported installations (such as fences or unbraced carports).\\\"

Is there a problem with this plan? We are building a cedar fence so the cedar can\\\'t go in the concrete.

If the metal column base won\\\'t be strong enough, we could alternatively use pressure treated posts, wrapped with cedar. Or there\\\'s a manufactured cedar post that is hollow in the middle and you slip it over a metal post that runs into the concrete.

Sponsored Links
This is predominantly a UK site. Our usage of simpson products is pretty much limited to roofing.

We would either:

Cement a pt post in.

Use a metal 'metpost' bracket, either bolted down to the concrete and embedded.

Use concrete posts for timber fence panels/rails.

Use a concrete 'spur' a small concrete post to which the timber fence post is bolted.

I don't understand the concept of 'rotating'

I don't see why cedar cannot be concreted in, it's one of the most resilient softwoods you can get.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back