Single built in electric oven supply?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have recently purchased a new single electric fan oven (Electrolux, EOB6630), along with a new electric hob. After enquiring with supplier I was informed that the hob would need to be fed from the dedicated cooker circuit (which was no problem), and the oven would require a normal 13A plug and socket supply. Now the oven has arrived I have checked the installation instructions and to my horror the oven requires the following supply, min cable size 2.5mm with a fuse rating of min 15A and max 20A. The only way I can think of getting round this is to run a new dedicated supply to the oven from the consumer unit in 2.5mm t&e cable, with a DP 20A isolation switch in between, backed up with a 16 or 20A mcb. Does anybody have any other ideas? The current set up is an above work top fcu (supplied off the ring main), which feeds a single un switched socket below the worktop.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I know the answer but need more information.

Please look up the Load Rating of the oven. This will be in Amps (A) or kiloWatt (kW). It will be in the documentation and also on a makers rating plate which will either be round the back next to the cable inlet, or inside the oven door.

Is is a single or double oven?

Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Translates as "I was just typing reply when up pops John's reply. Grr! I'm miffed!"

Yes, I was watching you through my concealed WebCam and didn't post my answer until I saw you getting ready.

Tee hee! :LOL:

p.s. anyway I've found it now. 3kW
http://www.freenet.ltd.uk/details.asp?ProductID=17647&Appliance=Electrolux_EOB6630

The answer is:
This instructions are for the benefit of those unfortunate inhabitants of other benighted countries which do not use the wonderful British Ring Main and 13Amp fused plug. You can connect your oven using a 13A fuse in a plug or FCU on your normal socket circuit.

The most elegant solution in my opinion is to have an unswitched 13A socket below the counter behind the oven, controlled by a 20A DP switch above the worktop.

Sponsored Links
Thanks JohnD(and securespark) for the very speedy reply. That makes my life a whole lot easier now.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back