Sisters are just as bad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not a DIY disaster as such this one but, carrying on in the vein of cheeky relatives. My sister (who is not averse to a light 'flirt' when she wants a job doing, now that's scary enough in itself!) let it be known to my wife that she had ordered a new kitchen from xyz shop and they were going to charge her 400 quid to fit it, "That's scandalous, says I, "I could....."

You know at that point how the guy on the gallows feels as they make sure that the noose is nice and snug just before the big drop.

Of course they had conspired to achieve this particular result, and as an angler, I should have known better than to take the bait. Cest la vie. I had the job, passed the interview with flying whatnots.

Now like all cheeky relatives, there's always the "add on" as demonstrated quite ably by the sister in law story. Sisters, I'm here to tell you, are no different.

I gave her a list of bits to pick up from the DIY store, "And don't be long, I'm waiting for them" When she gets back, she gives me the bag, and offers, "I've brought you a nice tuna salad barmcake from that nice sandwich shop on the corner, do you want coffee with it?"
"Oh smashing, says I rummaging in the bag of bits, 'Their sandwiches are bloody lov.......hang on! WHAT'S THIS!! why have you bought an outdoor tap complete with fittings?

"Well I thought....well, while you're doing the sink......"
Sodding cheek, that's what it is. What's more, 3 days in and the nice fresh shop bought barmcakes turned into, "There's some bread and cold meat in the fridge if you want a sarny, I'm off out"

Family eh? You can't live with 'em......and you can't kill 'em. ;)

Sponsored Links
Since you've done such a good job it'll be the bathroom next, of course with the saving made on the labour costs.

Sponsored Links
My sister is not the greatest diy'er, when I placed chrome faces on her light switches ( just the over the top covers, not the whole switch), she decied to do the rest on her own, unfotunatley, she unscrewed them,a nd try to take out the live wires on the back, without switching off the mains!!

Another occasion, she was mowing damp grass, with ehr electric lawnmower, "the mower started making really funny noises" you guessed it, she never checked under the mower to remove the built up damp grass cuttings, and carried on! eventually smoke ,and then fire started leaping out of hte machine, you guessed right, what medium did she choose to put the fire out with, without even switching off the mains?

I had another housemate who did exactly the same with a hoover, "it was not picking things up , and started making a really funny noise"
"did you check the brush?"
"No, I carried on, but then it started smelling funny"
"so you checked it right?"
"no, then smoke started coming out"
"So you stopped?"
"Well only when it stopped working"

Or the other housemate who decided to use the hoover hose to clean out the the u-bend on the bath.

The last one was the most worrying, the bloke was an engineer (civil engineer mind! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back