Siting of cooker outlet socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a kitchen refit and a new duel fuel range cooker and electric feed installed. Should the cooker outlet plate be fitted directly behind the cooker? I'm worried it might be affected by the heat generated by the cooker.
I'm only asking because my existing electric cooker (situated in a different location from the new one), has the cable routed from behind an kitchen unit.
Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
The cooker control unit should not be sited wher it would be dangerous to access it, such as behind the cooker hob.

The cooker control unit will be sited above the work top near the cooker. My query is with the outlet plate, reading the cooker installation page on this site the cooker control unit should connect to an outlet plate and the cooker connect to that.

behind the cooker seems to be the norm, next to it in a cupboard should also be fine though a little untidy.

it shouldn't generally get hot enough to damage anything behind cookers. usually there will be a gap or a vent or something to let any heat that does exit through the back escape.

Sponsored Links
Sorry Monki, mis read your post. I agree with Plug. If its dual fuel using gas it will need a stand off bracket as stipulated by the gas regs so should be no problem of heat damage

An incidental point - in my house the outlet plate was behind the space for the cooker, and the switch was above the worksurface to one side, so that you don't have to lean over the burning chip fan to turn the power off (!)

But I was very annoyed to find that the cable was in a conduit under the plaster, running diagonally between the two. Obviously diagonal runs mean I didn't guess its position when I drilled a hole to fix a new cabinet.

In my case I was able to put new cables through the conduit and marked the plaster to show the run, but still, not a good approach.

Is there a good way to run the cable when the switch and outlet are diagonally spaced?

Horizontally and vertically from the accessories. Nothing in the regs to prevent you running diagoneally as long as the cable is adequately protected. Jusy not good working practice as you have demonstrated.

JohnD said:
Is there a good way to run the cable when the switch and outlet are diagonally spaced?

Across and then down, or vice versa, or use earthed metal conduit and then you can put it anywhere

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back