Sizes of tile trim?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought some 6mm tile trim, which I now realise is too big. I've tried looking on online store sites for a smaller size but am having no luck.

Can you readily get tile trim at 4mm?

Sponsored Links
You do realise that the trim goes on before the adhesive. If your tiles + adhesive layer don't come to 6mm, perhaps you could afford a bit more adhesive.

Hi,

Yeah I did realise it went on first. The problem is is that I've tiled almost half way up the wall, and just need to add the last row of tiles with the trim, so I can't really overcompensate with the adhesive otherwise the wall will have a curve as it reaches the top.

I think if I could get 4mm trim then that would work fine. Problem is, I don't know if you can get it that size.

I don't think I've ever seen a tile+adhesive combination that comes to just 4mm. It seems you have got them tiles very tight to the wall. I don't know if the trim comes that small.

Assuming you really need to get it down to 4mm. You could try the following.

Offer up a tile and the trim at each end to find out where the outer edge of the trim comes to on the wall.

Using a straight edge, score a line into the plaster, (with a stanley knife).

Using a chisel, at least the width of your trim, scrape off about 2mm of plaster.

Fix the trim into the recess.

Lay tiles upto it.

run a bit of plaster (or grout) along the outer edge of the trim to make good.

It would be a bit of a bodge. I'd probably opt for a 2mm kick on the last row of tiles instead.

Sponsored Links
Just a thought, why not put up on the last row a slim border tiles then cut the tile underneath it.

both your ideas are very good. Thanks.

I'm not really sure what has gone wrong, other than it being my first tiling attempt.

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back