Skimming over existing plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend to skim over existing plaster, is this acceptable? What will i need to do to key the new skim in?

Sponsored Links
I had my whole house skimmed by a proper plasterer 3 years ago.

Some areas are not keyed as when you tap the wall you can hear the difference.

So i assume that he didn't do anything to key any of it in.

Suggest that you scrape the walls with a block of wood with some nails in it to scratch the surface, and pva the walls too.

I am now using a Polish plasterer to do some work, but I can't understand a word he says so no use asking him! Everything I ask him he just nods and says yes.

Swiss Tony said:
I had my whole house skimmed by a proper plasterer 3 years ago.

Some areas are not keyed as when you tap the wall you can hear the difference.

So i assume that he didn't do anything to key any of it in.

Suggest that you scrape the walls with a block of wood with some nails in it to scratch the surface, and pva the walls too.

I am now using a Polish plasterer to do some work, but I can't understand a word he says so no use asking him! Everything I ask him he just nods and says yes.

He must of applied some kind of key or none of it would of stuck.

pva is sound also Bond-it ;)
Let us know how it goes with this bloke who cant understand you :LOL:

spoke to plasterers on subject they say pva 5:1 apply to area allow to dry apply same just before skim allow to go tackie then skim.......hollow knocking sound means original wet line delaminated from wall........or it was dry lined

Sponsored Links
Blaster has it exactly right with the approach for a skim coat; the only thing I would add is to stick some glass fibre reinforcing tape over any visible cracks to stop them showing through & certainly follow Tony’s advice with the nail board if the wall has been finished in Vinyl gloss emulsion (causes all sorts of problems that stuff)!

I've got many hollow soundings on the original 1/2" render & finish skim coat in my old property & have stripped back & repaired some of the larger areas where there is an obvious problem. I’m sure a lot of it's been 'blown' for an awful long time so I decided to leave well alone where it still seems OK; otherwise I think you could well end up pulling the whole lot off & having to start again which ain’t cheap & certainly not easy if your just learning like me!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back