Skimming Plasterboard / Cavitys

R

ryanj

Mostly into electrical work, but i've got the chance to try building.

Simple question really, whats the advantages to skimmed piece of plasterboard, to a piece that's just ready to be decorated?

In my loft conversion, the walls aren't skimmed, but the rest of the house's walls are.

Also, the outside walls on the house, are strange (I think..). There is the outside brick, then a stud wall in front of it, is this a proper cavity wall, and what would be the best way to insulate it? (The walls are opened on the inside).

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
this may not help but i think that "proper cavity wall" is when you have brick then space then brick. do your walls have 2 layers of bricks? how thick are the walls?

dom

ryanj said:
Simple question really, whats the advantages to skimmed piece of plasterboard, to a piece that's just ready to be decorated?
Do you mean plasterboard finish instead of skimmed ? If so, I think it's a lot to do with cost saving. Plasterboard finish just need to tape the joints and fill in screw/nail holes then wallpaper over artex or tiles & depends if it's for ceiling or wall etc. Skimmed is always better if you're going to decorate with paint and wallpaper and can be stripped off better next time round. The plasterboard without skim will be a soft protection on the front and can get damaged.
Also, the outside walls on the house, are strange (I think..). There is the outside brick, then a stud wall in front of it, is this a proper cavity wall, and what would be the best way to insulate it? (The walls are opened on the inside).
Have you got brickwork on the outside then a cavity with plywood and then timber studs, if so this is a Australia design for labour cost saving, We used to do the whole inside of the house with the plywood panel section in 2/3 days ! then the bricklayer come along and do the outside brickwork. Average time to build a house from footing level to roof wallplate level took us 9 days !

Have you got brickwork on the outside then a cavity with plywood and then timber studs

Yep, it's like that. Is that any worse than traditional design?

Sponsored Links
ryanj said:
Have you got brickwork on the outside then a cavity with plywood and then timber studs

Yep, it's like that. Is that any worse than traditional design?
Not really, I have done many at Pitsea Mount by the Pitsea flyover near the A13 and the feedback from the clients when new was a loud cracking timber noise due to difference weather temperature but settled down after 6 mths. The disadvantage was all internal walls are plasterboards which can be a bit awkward for fitting such as roller blind or curtains and extra socket etc. I don't remember them using insulation behind the plasterboard but the plasterboard did have silver foil backing on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back