skirting around a curved wall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How on earth am I going to fit skirting around my bay window where the walls do not meet as a corner but as a 120 degree curve? Is this a job for the experts?

Sponsored Links
Hi Claire and welcome!

there are two ways to do this, you can either fit the skirting in small sections around the bayusing say a 10 degree cut on each section? (if the window cill is made up of sections, make the joint inline with the cill joints).

Or you can make a series of cuts into the back of a single piece of skirting therefore making it flexible enough to bend.

Are you painting the skirting afterwards? If you are, you may consider using an MDF (Medium Density Fibreboard) skirting which will bend much easier (possibly without even cutting slots in the back). MDF has to be painted really, doesn't look very good any other way.

I suppose that was a third way... :D

I'd be more inclined to make kerf cuts fairly close together where it is to bend and also soak the wood in water so it wont break when bending.
Then allow to dry in its position before joining at the ends because it will shrink as it dries so making it a fraction longer than needed might be a good idea.

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
whats a kerf cut?
The kerf is the width of the slot in the wood.

What I also find is easier is to make sure the skirting board is long enough to make a hole on each end and tie a rope with knot on each side to the shape of your bay window.

masona said:
What I also find is easier is to make sure the skirting board is long enough to make a hole on each end and tie a rope with knot on each side to the shape of your bay window.

Ah, clever! :D

A kerf is the width of a saw blade.
Kerf cuts are a series of saw cuts part way through at the rear of the wood to enable the wood to be bent.
Soaking the wood before bending is necessary to prevent the face breaking when it is bent to shape.
You still have to be careful especially if trying to bend an expensive hardwood.

:) you learn something new every day (today i learnt what a kerf cut is, never heard of it before)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back