Skirting board nails?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the correct nails (length, profile) to use to nail skirting to a solid brick wall?

Sponsored Links
2/3 plus the thickness of the skirting board

ie: skirting board 15mm thickness = minimum 45mm nail

i never nail them into brickwork. can never get a decent fixing and usually ends splitting a piece along the line. i always use grip fill or similar, or plug and screw an uneven wall

Sponsored Links
I didn't want to go down the glue route as I used gripfill in the past and the house smelt for ages. I'm doing my childs room and don't want the fumes in there for days on end.

masona said:

Do you mean 2/3 of the thickness of the skirting board, plus the thickness of the skirting board, as this would be 15mm + 2/3 x 15mm = 25mm ?

Oh, you can also get solvent free gripfill, however I have to agree for peace of mind I always plug and screw them to the wall.

Eddie M said:
masona said:

Do you mean 2/3 of the thickness of the skirting board, plus the thickness of the skirting board, as this would be 15mm + 2/3 x 15mm = 25mm ?
Say you want to fit a 1" batten onto the wall then you will need a minimum of 3" nail.

Most people use 50mm cut nail for skirting board.

those nails ain't long enough years ago I rented a room in a house and one Saturday morning my landlord was hammering and banging next door and I heard a splitting sound next to my bed, when I looked down the end of six inch nail was poking through the skirting into my room.

6inches minus protrusion into your skirting equals a very thin party wall?

either saw dust and glue or cut plugs from a spare bit of skirting

keyplayer said:
masona said:
Screw & rawlplug is the best way.

How do you best lose your screw heads if you're waxing rather than painting?
or make your own pellets with a special tool from the back of the skirting board

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back