sky signal splitters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have a sky box feedin the TV below it, and a TV in another room. what i want to do now is split the cable and have it goin to a 2nd room. have had a quick look at splitters, but some are active and some are passive. whats the difference? also, would it be possible for both TV's in other rooms to control the main box via IR cable thingy?

Sponsored Links
Active Splitters run on power. Most active splitters also boost the signal a tiny bit to compensate for the signal that would usually be lost after passing through a passive splitter.

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to control the Sky box through the coax cable from two IR thingies. All they do is convert the IR and feed it back down the coax cable. The Sky box doesn't know where the signal comes from.

I would guess that a passive splitter might be a better bet to feed that converted IR signal back to the Sky box since the active one's signal booster probably only works one way.

if you are going to use signal boosters (which is what i presume you mean by active splitters) with sky remote receiver units you either have to use a special bypass cable to take the signal past the booster or buy a special booster that passes the remote signal thorugh.

Unless you want to watch the same thing on both TVs, you can't just split the cable - it's not like a normal broadcast TV signal.

Sponsored Links
i take it that the sky box is fairly old and hasn't got an RF2 output on the back ???? (because that is where you'd take the feed for an additional tv on all the latest boxes, giving no loss of signal either !)

You can operate the sky box remotely using a magic eye unit which plugs into the back of the 2nd tv and uses the coax to communicate back to the sky box, but again, you'd need the rf2 output for that !

ban-all-sheds said:
Unless you want to watch the same thing on both TVs, you can't just split the cable - it's not like a normal broadcast TV signal.

im already aware of that

curtly said:
i take it that the sky box is fairly old and hasn't got an RF2 output on the back ???? (because that is where you'd take the feed for an additional tv on all the latest boxes, giving no loss of signal either !)

You can operate the sky box remotely using a magic eye unit which plugs into the back of the 2nd tv and uses the coax to communicate back to the sky box, but again, you'd need the rf2 output for that !

read first post. i already said there are 2 connected already, and i want a 3rd

plugwash said:
if you are going to use signal boosters (which is what i presume you mean by active splitters) with sky remote receiver units you either have to use a special bypass cable to take the signal past the booster or buy a special booster that passes the remote signal thorugh.
Aerial amplifier such as the Global communications T120. This allows the connection of 2 TVs and 2 magic eyes to the RF2 on the digibox running from the digibox psu. If you buy the T140 you can have up to 4 TVs and 4 magic eyes on RF2 running from the digibox psu.

Andrew, second supscription, £10 a month. Watch what YOU want to, not what everyone else is watching. Them magic eye thingys are all well and good as long as nobody else is watching sky at the same time, but then whats the point in having 3 TVs with Sky?

crafty1289 said:
but then whats the point in having 3 TVs with Sky?

because family often do 1 thing in 1 room, another thing in a different room so there isnt much point in a 2nd box

As SPARK123 has said, the Global T140 is excellent, i've had one for eight months now doing a similar job to what you want. I paid £20 inc vat & del form Global themselves and its active (ie powered) but it uses the voltage from the rf2 output so doesn't need a power supply behind your tv. The advantage of this unit is that it allows the magic eyes to run through it, a surprising number (if not the majority) of these units don't allow this to happen. As well as sky it'll distribute both video & dvd as well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back