1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Sliding car doors?

Discussion in 'General Cars' started by Vicario, 25 Mar 2021.

1. Vicario

Vicario

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Which cars can you recommend that have a sliding driver's door? After a recent hip operation l need to have my car door swung fully open and if someone parks too close I have real problems with access. I drive automatics, by the way. Something fairly high off the ground would be good.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. chainsaw_masochist

chainsaw_masochist

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  4. Mottie

Mottie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I don’t think many cars have sliding front doors these days. Sliding rear doors maybe? I once had a van with sliding front doors. An Austin J4. My passion wagon. That saw some action I tell ya! ;)

1127D163-1B45-4E62-B802-E29B4F23A601.gif

5. Mottie

Mottie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A Ford B Max might do. Sliding rear door but might give easier access to the front. They are not too low and I’m sure they must do them in auto.

BB8D05E7-FAAD-4B25-838F-63CE5B614852.jpeg

6. Sponsored Links
  7. Mottie

Mottie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Actually, I’m sure a customer of mine had a Peugeot 1007 - that had sliding doors and I think they were electric too.

Edit: Here you go. Not the best of reviews but if sliding doors are a must, I don’t think there’s much choice. https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/peugeot/1007/19012/peugeot-1007

Clarkson seems to give it a thumbs up.

Last edited: 25 Mar 2021
  8. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The Invacar clearly had sliding doors for the disabled, [​IMG] but not a very practicable car. And this is the point there is more involved than just the doors, the Rolls Royce do a front opening door, but I would not think you are looking for one of them, likely the Ford B Max as said is one of the best, I found the old Vauxhall Agila very good as being so narrow there was room in a parking space to open doors wide.

I had a Renault Kangoo well actually a GoWing as converted for the disabled, and the sliding doors were useless, there was a large box section below the door opening making getting into rear seat rather hard, but front seat was fine, and with a mother who was an amputee, having the door actually made it safer, as no where to fall when transferring.

So would say you want a tall car, but not too tall, my Kia Sorento is too tall, and the Jaguar XE too low, so need happy medium, but your own height will make a difference, always arguing about car seats, I keep saying easy for a short person to put seat back before getting out, not so easy for a tall person to put them back before getting in.

9. frutbunn

frutbunn

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    One of these, built for the US postal service in RHD as well
    upload_2021-3-26_15-33-6.jpeg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Avocet

Avocet

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The small Peugeot that Mottie mentions is the only one I'm aware of. Have you had a look at the products Elap offers though?

https://www.elap.co.uk/

You might be able to get in and out of a conventional hinged door car, with a rotating seat fitted?

Also, depending on budget, maybe something with doors that hinge on the B-Pillar?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Dawn