Sliding compound mitre saw use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this is worded a bit confusingly!

When using my sliding compound mitre saw the clamp attached to the saw base is located on the left hand side of the base.

I'm right handed so use my right hand to control the saw - thus it can't hold any wood which is to the right of the blade - any timber here becomes loose after I've cut through the workpiece.

I've tried moving the clamp so it's positioned on the right, and this gets in the way of the saw motor :confused: .

So my question is this - do I need to worry about the timber being supported/clamped/held on both sides of the blade or is one side OK? If the offcut is quite small is this OK unclamped or could it cause a problem?

Hope this makes sense, thanks

Sponsored Links
in general providing the work is supported flat [wont drop when cut]
and providing your not working to a length stop
holding the wood firmly against the fence and away from the blade with you left hand will be safe enough not many people will clamp the work or keep there hands 6"clear of the cutting area like they should

i always hold the work in place with a lightly clenched fist, that way no fingers get near the blade if the work does move for any reason!

at least you`re prepared for the thieves & vultures sneaking up on you thermo son, with your lightly clenched fist, (ooohh-errr) ;)

Sponsored Links
one bitten twice shy mate, had a little run in with a hedge trimmer once, i dont take chances now! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back