Slight condensation issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks :)

My loft originally had 100mm of insulation between the 4" x 2" joists. I needed to board out the centre of the loft, a space of 3.5m x 4.0m I added some 2" x 2" joists on top of the existing ones, in line not cross batten, and added a further 100mm of insulation. I then laid a job lot of conti board as I had a load going spare. I have today checked under the boards and found that they are all damp with condensation. :eek: Two questions,

Is it because I have used conti board?
Should there be a space between the insulation and the board to allow air circulation?

Thanks.

Dan. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Tudor said:
Is it because I have used conti board?
Could be because the conti board is a cold surface.
Should there be a space between the insulation and the board to allow air circulation?
Would've be easier to cross batten to allow cross air flow

Thanks masona.

I have taken up some of the conti board and put down a couple of sheets of ply to see if that works. If so, then I will pop out and get some 2 x 4 sheets of loft board and do it again and bin the conti board.

Sponsored Links
You need to have airflow under the boards to carry away the moist air.

Changing the type of board will not stop the condensation.

You should also look at sources of damp and condensation to reduce the causes (see Wiki/Building/Condensation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back