slight shock off the kettle or dishwasher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got about 100volts running through the earth from somewhere localised to one corner of my kitched. If i touch the kettle with a wet hand, or a cut finger, i get a bit of a shock - nothing major, but bloody annoying. any clues on how to trace it. it happens with barefeet touching a nail that holds the wooden floor to the concrete subfloor.

the diswasher and kettle are not in the same socket.

Noticed sunday an earthing lead hanging loose beneath the kitchen cupboards.

A very mild current running through the cold water tap also not uncommon. Dishwarsher plug is beneath the sink, the kettle socket about 2 foot from the sink.

any clues on how to trace / remidy this would be great. many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I think your best employing an electrician to find the fault, you said a voltage of 100Volts, out interest how do you know that?
It's more than enough to kill you, you've been lucky so far. Isolate the circuit and get someone in pronto.

It's been like it for a good number of years now. Yes, I know that's a dreadful state of affairs. and hell of a dodgy state to be in... Probably a wake up call..

As for how i know, I stuck a multi meter in the earth pin of the kettle socket and to a nail in the floor repeated it with the dishwasher one on the internal casing of the d/w and to the same nail. The new dishwasher does the same, but lesser voltage - about 70. repeated the exercise with the earth pin and the neutral pin.

The flooring nails have been insulation taped to prevent the bare foot problems, but embarrassingly no cure I know. Thanks, for the sage advice.

hhmm,

voltages on exposed metalwork,

insulation tape over flooring nails :eek:

been like it for years,

:confused:

Do you really need anybody to insult your intelligence by saying you need an electrician ? C'mon, even you know its the totally obvious answer!

Sponsored Links
hhmm,

Do you really need anybody to insult your intelligence by saying you need an electrician ? C'mon, even you know its the totally obvious answer!

Could be he can't afford an electrician so has asked a question on a DIY forum so that he can try and find the fault himself, DIY = Do It Yourself. :LOL:

Could be he can't afford an electrician so has asked a question on a DIY forum so that he can try and find the fault himself, DIY = Do It Yourself. :LOL:

With a signature like yours, i'd have thought you would have realised why this may not be appropriate.

GET A COMPETANT ELECTRICIAN IN NOW IF YOU VALUE YOUR'S OR YOUR FAMILY'S WELL BEING !

AND IF HE CAN'T AFFORD IT?

There are people out there (really) who getting £100 together would be about as easy as you or me getting a million.

Come on guys - if your electricians help this guy out - this is a diy forum not another place for you pros to come and suggest he call in some scumbag with a 17th ed ticket who will charge £40 an hour for a job this guy could do with his multimeter!

The multi-meter will give some readings of voltage etc etc.

The interpretation of those readings requires some knowledge to arrive at what is possibly the fault. Then the fault has to found and then be repaired.

So far three possibilities.

[1] The nail is partially earthed through damp timber and the washing machine is live.

[2] The washing machine is earthed and the nail is live via damp timber to a damaged cable or concealed, damp and corroding junction box.

[3] The washing machine is NOT earthed and the nail is also live.

If there are loose earth connections turn off the mains to the kitchen and sort them out first.

If the fault is still there then please call someone electrical to at least advise you. A couple of tests should be all it takes to asses how dangerous the fault is.

By the sounds of it. If someone were to wash up with bare feet and stand in a puddle in your kitchen it would be the absolute last time they ever washed up. I am not trying to scare you and I can show you the sums to prove it would be so.

Take care

Martin

GET A COMPETANT ELECTRICIAN IN NOW IF YOU VALUE YOUR'S OR YOUR FAMILY'S WELL BEING !

AND IF HE CAN'T AFFORD IT?

There are people out there (really) who getting £100 together would be about as easy as you or me getting a million.

That would be unfortunate, but how would you propose to help someone via an internet forum for a problem like this? (without killing him)
What he describes sound potentially lethal. If he were your family, would you be happy with this course of action to find the problem? How do you know he is actually describing the fault in its fullest accurate detail? (no disrespect to the OP)

HI Eniacs,

Care to lead the way on resolving this problem?
some of us 17th edition scumbags can cut straight through the B/S and can tell that the services of a professional scumbag is required.

Consider this, if this were the NHS direct and the question was
'got a bit of a cold, what can i do?'
im sure the online answers would be forethcoming.

If the question was, 'im bleeding copiously from the ears and eyes, what can i do?'
the only sesnible answer would be something like 'go to the hospital, double quick, stop messing around, you might die before you get an answer'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back