Slight sooty smell around house with Central Heating on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, well it's that time of year again....when all the heating is switched back on for the winter.

I switched the central heating on for the first time in months last night and there was a slight sooty smell. I think the smell seemed to dissapear after a few hours (or I had gotten used to it), anyway....is there any cause for concern here....or is it just because it hasn't been used for a good few months?

Thanks.
Steve

Sponsored Links
Probably just dust that's settled on the rads over the summer.

You say nothing about your boiler!

If its an open flue then you should not use it and call a CORGI to check it as it could be dangerous.

A floor mounted boiler usually has an open flue but a few wall mounted boilers did as well.

Tony

The mind conjours up back boiler sooted up and spilling doesn't it? Or perhaps a room sealed etype with bad seal and a creaper growing in the flue?

Sponsored Links
Well he is in Berkshire!

Home of all the OIL people!

Tony

Cheeky monkeys!
It is a GAS back boiler.
I will try again tonight and see if the smell is still present.

Back boiler is open flued appliance.

They seldom get the annual check or clear out to ensure appliance is not spilling.

Over time, the burner, inlet filter at the burner and heat exchanger sucum to dust and dirt which soon ends up with heavy soot deposits. Have seen cases where removed soot half fills a shoping bag.

It would be sensible to get the boiler serviced, not just checked operationally. This means removing the fire front, removing the BB burner, sweeping the heat echanger and clearing out the burner bar, and lint filter.

Fire front could also do with a check. Often the burner bar needs clearout too.

Operational check can now be carried out to ensure appliance is working correctly

If its an open flue then you should not use it and call a CORGI to check it as it could be dangerous.

Tony

Thats what the canary said just before it fell off its perch dead!

DP said:
Have seen cases where removed soot half fills a shoping bag.

Yes indeed and the long forgotten essential ventilation has been walpapered over.

I hate it, get called to service a boiler and come away with two rubble sacks of soot, and looking like somone trying to find a wedding.

You should make the client dispose of the rubbish, a little note in you T&C.

Remember we are told that soot is carcinogenic!

"""A potent carcinogen, soot once caused widespread scrotal cancer among—who else?—London chimney sweeps. ..."""

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back